Chapter 45

Y/N watched as Smith pushed her fingers across the screen to rewind it. The same screeching sound was heard. Smith turned up the volume and a confused look sprang across her face. Then, she looked at an orange duffel bag in the corner, furrowing her brows.

Y/N tried to move into another angle to see what was in the bag, but she couldn't see. She backed up and tilted her head to the side but still, nothing. Y/N walked around behind some boxes then she moved forward, but, her clumsy self tripped on a tool kit which sent the boxes crashing.

Smith, who was just reaching into the bag, whipped her head in Y/N's direction. Y/N was hiding behind the boxes, covering her head so Smith couldn't see.

"Who's there," Smith asked.

Y/N stayed quiet and looked for anything she could throw as a distraction. When she didn't find anything, she started to crawl away, hoping that she wasn't seen.

~~~~~

The Dhar family were sitting around the table in silence. Vijay had just told his father and mother everything that Penny had told him that day at the waterfall.

"Did she tell you how long we have before the planet dies?"

Vijay looked down. "No."

There was another silence, in which Prisha did some calculations in her head, and Victor waited for Vijay to tell them more, and in which Vijay let guilt flood his body.

"Vijay...Get the Jupiter ready. We're getting off this damn planet."

~~~~~

Maureen and John stared in horror as Victor and his family prepared to launch.  Auden was trying to get Victor to listen to her through the radio but he ignored her and instead told her that they lost almost all the fuel, which brought Maureen to more worry.

"Commence the pre-launch systems," Victor ordered.

Maureen stepped forward slightly and she spoke into the radio. "Prisha, it's important. How much fuel do you have left exactly?"

"Maureen, I promise we'll send back help," Prisha replied.

"17.2%," Vijay told Maureen.

His parents glared at him.

"Shut down the engines. You're too heavy. You won't make it out of the atmosphere," Maureen rambled worriedly.

"Keep talking," John walked off towards the Jupiter.

"Victor, you have to listen to me."

John ran towards the closing ramp and he jumped on, with all his might. He climbed over it and rolled into their garage.

Grunting, John quickly shot back up and ran towards the control room.

"Listen to me, you will burn off all the fuel before you even reach escape velocity," Maureen said.

Vijay looked to the side. "Maybe we should listen to her, dad."

"The computer says it's fine," Victor grumbled.

"The computer will tell you it's fine but it's wrong. It's not calibrated for this planet. You won't survive."

"Cut it out Maureen. I had to find out that the planet was dying from my son, who learned it from your daughter. So forgive me for not trusting you," Victor snapped.

Suddenly, the Jupiter powered down. A beat up John was breathing heavily from the inside of the control room.

Victor stood up alarmed and he walked to John as he took off his helmet. "So you're in charge now?"

"Oh no, not me." John looked at Maureen who was now walking towards them. "Us."

Victor slightly rolled his eyes when John grabbed the radio. "Attention all Jupiters. This is John Robinson. Report to Jupiter 4, we'll explain when you get here."

~~~~~

Maureen sat at the table in Jupiter 4, papers filled with calculations scattered around here. She heard small footsteps coming her way and she turned her head to see Will holding a box.

"Everyone is gathered outside," he said. "I brought this from our Jupiter."

Will handed Maureen her famous white board. She chuckled and put it by her side. "Is there any way I can help?"

"Do you understand the problem?"

"Yeah. We only have a defined amount of fuel to provide thrust. Sol we need to make the Jupiter as light as possible."

"So this is a list of everything we can strip that isn't essential. You and Y/N can do the lighter things and give the rest to everyone else. Oh, and this is the maximum weight we need to reach."

Will tensed at the name of Y/N. "Um...me and Y/N aren't at the best right now."

Maureen looked at Will curiously. "What happened? You two are really close."

"I wasn't truthful with her. I wasn't being a good friend."

Maureen slightly smiled at how quick Will knew what he did wrong. "Do you know how to make it up to her? What is something both of you like?"

"The robot. But he's gone. And everything lose, Y/N so much more smarter than me."

"Will, honey, don't say that. I'm sure things between the two of you will improve. For now, we need to focus on this, so take the list and give it to Y/N, then the rest of the colonists."

Will took the piece of paper and he frowned. "This is still too heavy."

"I know. I wish I could strip out all of this. Th cockpit alone weight 5 tons."

"Technically, 9500 pounds, but... too bad you can't pilot without it."

Maureen sighed then looked at his son, then at his shirt. Will noticed. "What, did I spill something on Pilot-11?"

Maureen traced her hand over it, an idea in her head.

~~~~~

Y/N stood in the crowd gathered around Jupiter 4. She was kinda sad after hearing Maureen and John's speech about the black hole. Yes, Maureen has told her about it, but it was a lot worse then she mentioned. Their plan was to launch differently. Like, a lot more different than usual.

There were some questions and protest after the speech but Maureen quickly explained that they were doing the launch 19- something style.

When she heard that, Y/N tilted her head in confusion. Anything could go wrong, especially if there is some kind of problem in the launch. Stripping the Jupiter of all that stuff, wow.

"We'll start with the detaux systems," Maureen said earlier.

Y/N was still not sure, even though she thought that Maureen was nothing short of a genius.

"Crazy isn't it," someone asked from beside her.

She turned her head to see Will looking at her with hopeful eyes.

"When you first hear it, yes, it is a bit crazy," Y/N mumbled.

Will smiled seeing as Y/N seemed a bit better than she was hours ago. But the smile faded when Y/N started walking away.

"Wait!"

Y/N turned around. "Sorry, I remember Maureen telling me about that list. I'll take that," Y/N went up to Will and took the paper out of his hands.

Will looked down, a bit embarrassed.

"You coming? We need to get this done as soon as possible," Y/N said from the ramp.

Will perked up excitedly, thinking this as an opportunity to fix things between them. He ran up to her with a smile even though Y/N still ahead somewhat of a blank expressionism her face.

"Uhh...lets start with this. Everyone else would be too busy with the removal of the navigation to be worried with it."