Chapter Eight

"Good morning," Kam said, sitting down at a table with Nancy. "How are you feeling?"

"I wasn't able to get much sleep throughout the night," Nancy replied. "How about you?"

"Same."

"Want some breakfast?" Nancy offered.

"Sure, I'll take a banana," Kam said. "Thanks. Have you talked to Bill?"

"We spoke last night. Looks like we're headed to Africa."

"How do you feel about that?" Kam asked.

"It is what it is. What choice do we have?"

"It's just so crazy to think that two days ago we were snorkeling and having a good time. Life couldn't get any better. Now we are on that same boat heading to Africa because it's apparently the last place left on Earth. I just feel like we're living in some sort of simulation."

"It definitely feels that way, doesn't it?"

"Are you as nervous as I am about Africa?" Kam asked.

"Probably even more so. As a woman, there are a lot of potential dangers there, you know?"

"Yeah, hopefully there will be some sort of military base set up with other Americans where we can start our own colony. I will get a job as a fisherman, you will become a teacher or a gardener, and Bill... I guess he can settle disputes or something."

"So those are my only two options — teacher or gardener?" Nancy smiled.

"No no, of course not, I was just saying."

"I know, I was just bugging you."

"Well, if it's any consolation, we'll stick together. I'll protect you as best I can," Kam said.

"Thanks."

Bill walked in and greeted everyone. "I just spoke to our friend Charlie. The meteor showers continued throughout the night and are heating up the planet. Apparently, this is causing the polar ice caps to melt and soon most of the world will be underwater."

"There's enough water in the ice caps to submerge the entire planet?"

"I don't know," Bill replied. "Perhaps the meteors themselves were made of ice. According to satellite footage, Charlie said the water has risen so high on both coasts that everything West of Colorado and East of Missouri is underwater."

"What about other parts of the world?"

"He said it looked pretty bleak everywhere else as well."

"Doesn't it make sense to go back to America?" Kam asked. "We could live in Colorado or somewhere that is above sea level."

"What's left has been destroyed," Bill said remorsefully. "We'd be going back to a graveyard. America continues to be hit by meteors and heavy storms. Trust me, it's not a place you want to be right now. Based on what Charlie said, all the survivors are flocking to Africa."

"I suspect things will become very... interesting," Kam said.

"What do you mean?" Nancy asked.

"Think about it... we weren't invited to these countries in Africa. We don't have visas or proper documentation. We're just... showing up. As is everyone. The Chinese, the Mexicans, the Canadians, the Europeans... I suspect what will end up happening is that Africa will become a lawless state of nature until eventually, who knows when, new colonies will form. Wars will be waged over land and limited resources, certain countries will thrive and realize they need more space and will invade neighbouring countries. Whoever has the biggest army will become unstoppable. They will eventually spread and conquer as history has shown us. Men will be killed, women will be raped, and kids will be enslaved. We are no longer in a civilization, we are in a race."

The words rested heavy on Nancy as she sat with that thought. Bill could also envision that future.

"If you ask me, I say the three of us avoid Africa and find another spot somewhere?" Kam suggested.

"It all depends," Bill said, pausing for effect.

"Depends on what?" Nancy asked.

"It depends on whether we are the hammer... or the nail."

"What does that mean?" Kam asked.

"It means it depends on what side we align with," Bill said.

The ocean was relatively calm for a brief window, but the skies were still dark and gloomy. The crew took some time to clean up and scoop water over the side. It was hard work, which lasted most of the day. They were exhausted, sleep-deprived, sweaty, cold, hungry, and wet.

The luxury yacht was equipped with some amenities not found on a typical boat such as full showers, laundry, hot tub, and full-size beds.

At the end of a long day, after Bill and Nancy retired to their bedroom to try and get some sleep, Kam remained awake on the upper deck, gazing up at the blackened sky. Stretched out on his back, he wondered if Cara was doing the same thing. Perhaps her and her family were only a couple miles ahead of him and would arrive at the same place. That was one option that gave him hope.

"Any more meteors?" Bill said from a distance. Kam turned around quickly. "Sorry if I startled you. I wanted to check in and see how you were doing. You worked really hard today and I just wanted to thank you for that."

"It's the least I could do," Kam replied. "Without you, I would be dead."

"This is the second night out at sea and we may have another ten days or so until we reach land. I want you to know that if you ever need to talk and share your worries, we are always open," Bill offered.

"I appreciate that. Thank you."

"It's not easy for any of us, we're all in the same boat — literally and figuratively — but at least I have Nancy. It must be extra hard for you. I recognize that," Bill said with sincerity. "We need you just as much as you need us, okay? We're a team now. I know it's a strange thing to say since we only met a few days ago, but we're family now. Okay?"

"Thank you for that, Bill" Kam said. "I couldn't be more grateful and lucky to be with you two."

"I'll let you get back to star gazing and see you in the morning. Have a good night."

Africa (Complete)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara