Chapter Forty-Nine

Guards flooded into the apartment and quickly apprehended Kam.

"Trespassing?" he protesting. "I'm an invited guest."

Kam stood up defiantly while Asia remained seated, offering no form of resistance. She just sat back and watched as Kam was hauled off.

He was strong-armed into an elevator and led down a series of corridors.

"Guys, you're making a big mistake. I'm Chris Pratt. I was in Jurassic Park."

"Chris Pratt was in Jurassic World, not Jurassic Park," one of the guards said, shoving Kam into a cell and locking the door.

Kam paced back and forth. He was over the whole underground city and wanted to leave. It wasn't long before Mr. Bennet walked up to the cell door and entered. The mere sight of the man was enough to make Kam's blood boil. His heart rate elevated and his chest began heaving as he was fuming with rage. His Olympic-level focus narrowed in on the man who had tripped him up so many times.

Mr. Bennet placed a device on Kam's forehead and took a reading. "Ah, yes, the scuba instructor. You're like a cockroach that I just can't seem to get rid of. How did you get in here?" he asked.

"If I told you, you probably wouldn't believe me. And I'm not a cockroach, or a savage, I'm a human being."

"You're a version of human, but you're not in the same species as me. Don't ever confuse that."

"You're the one who is confused," Kam said. We are all part of the human race. It is a race, but we do not all start at the same line. You were born into a life of privilege, into a system that rewarded tall, white men from America, who speak English. You had opportunities come to you that you were not even aware of, that others could only dream about. You had the luxury of trying and failing, and if you failed, that was okay because you were given second and third chances. You had safety nets to catch you whenever you fell. School was easier for you since you didn't have to work part-time jobs. You had tutors, comfort, meals prepared for you, leisure time to contemplate life and pursue your talents, to be involved in social clubs, to make connections with influential people who could help you along the way and give you a leg up despite any deficiency that you may have possessed. All this to make your path a lot easier to travel, a lot less friction, and free of any major obstacles or roadblocks.

"All the men who came before you, navigated the way, stomped down the tall grass, cleared the path, laid down bridges, opened doors... all of which you benefited from. Plus, you grew up in a time that facilitated you every step of the way. Success was almost guaranteed, not because of how smart you are, how creative you are, how hard you worked, but because you were swimming with the current. For you, a little effort went a long way.

"Now let me tell you about my journey. I grew up in a recession, to a single mother from a poor neighbourhood where it was looked down upon to be smart. My older brother, and many of my friends, were either killed or locked up before their eighteenth birthday — victims of a system of oppression. I never knew my father. I grew up in a place where crime and violence were all around me. People doing drugs, robbing people, and random shootings were so commonplace that we didn't even bat an eye when we heard a gunshot. Just looking at someone the wrong way could get you killed.

"The only way out of that environment was to sell drugs, become a rapper, or become an athlete. I took up swimming, not because I enjoyed it or was good at it, but because my mother needed somewhere for me to go while she worked two jobs to support us. I didn't have a pool in my backyard, or at my school, or in my neighbourhood community centre. I had to ride a bus for several hours through several bad neighbourhoods, at night. And believe me, there were people who didn't want me to be in the same pool as them for no other reason than the colour of my skin, as if I was dirty or tainted, as if I would somehow infect them or their kids. They didn't necessarily say anything, but I could feel it. I could feel it everywhere I went. Security following me around a store. Managers when I was applying for jobs. Parents of white friends keeping an eye on me to make sure I didn't steal anything. Whispers. Looks. Feelings. You become hyper-sensitive to knowing when you're not wanted, when you don't belong.