Chapter Thirty-Three

They had been travelling for over twenty-four hours, stopping periodically for rest. So far they had yet to run into any other tribes, which for them was a good thing. 

Upon reaching a point where the road was no longer feasible to travel by vehicle, they pulled over and decided to continue their journey by foot.

As the sun descended the African skies, the group decided to look for a spot to set up camp. The group worked diligently to find a clearing in the dense jungle and get everything set up before the sun completely disappeared over the horizon.

The campfire crackled as people sat around staring at each other.

Tau had maintained a low profile and only spoke when he needed to use the washroom or drink water. Kam tried his best to set aside his hatred for the man and instead looked at the humanity in him. Tau looked over at Kam and requested to use the washroom. Kam got up, grabbed a flaming torch, and walked away from camp with him.

It was late, and Kam didn't want to disturb the others so against his better judgement, he went alone.

"Okay, that's far enough," Kam said, trudging deep into the woods away from the others.

"I need light," Tau said. "I can't see."

"You can see plenty."

"Please," Tau pleaded. "The jungle is filled with many dangers, many of which can be hiding in plain sight. There could be a poisonous snake, an insect, or a jaguar. I need to see where I step."

Kam got closer and held the torch out. Looking all around, he determined there was nothing lurking in the shadows.

"You good?" Kam asked. "Now hurry up."

Standing in the flickering glow of the flame, in the hot and muggy jungle, Kam had a moment of reflection. He couldn't believe his life had come to this. Just then a buzzing insect snapped him out of his daze. Tau laughed.

"This jungle is not for you. You are soft and weak. This jungle will eat you alive. Those people back there... they are going to turn on you when they realize you have nothing to offer," Tau said in an attempt to plant a seed of doubt.

"Shut up," Kam said.

"A leader should offer security, resources, and wisdom. You offer none of these things."

"I said shut up."

"Just wait until your people become desperate. They will blame you for leading them astray."

"Oh yeah," Kam fought back. "Astray from what? Your enslavement camp? Anywhere is better than that place."

"We can debate about the morality another time, but at least I provided food, clothing, shelter, protection, showers... and perhaps most importantly, I provided people who were lost with a sense of purpose."

"Oh yeah, you're a real saint," Kam scoffed. "I don't know what kind of demented brain you have if you think you were doing us any sort of favours. That place was hell on Earth. Some even chose death over those conditions. So don't tell me—"

Before Kam could finish his sentence, he was tackled to the ground. The torch flew out of his hand and rolled away. Tau was now on top of him, Kam fought with him, but soon realized Tau was not trying to hurt him, but trying to protect him. Tau cupped his hand over Kam's mouth with one hand while raising his finger to his lips with the other. As soon as Kam stopped struggling, Tau released his hand from Kam's mouth, but told him to be quiet.

Without saying a word, Tau tapped his finger to his ear signally for Kam to listen.

"What is it?" Kam asked in a panicked whisper, still laying on his back on the jungle floor with a gigantic warlord sitting on his chest. If Tau wanted, he could easily take Kam's life by strangling him or beating him to death, and no one we even know. But instead, Tau got off of Kam.

"I heard something. In the distance. About one hundred yards away."

"What was it?"

"Not sure, but it was large."

By now, the torch had been extinguished by the wet leaves of the rain forest. The canopy was also too thick for any moonlight to penetrate. So they were consumed by darkness.

"We need to get back to camp," Kam insisted.

"Not yet," Tau said, still whispering. "We move, we die. I'm not sure where you are from, but in these parts, humans are not the apex predator. We need to lay low for a while. Do not move, do not make a sound."