Seventeen

"When did you become so accident-prone?"

I open one swollen eye and glare across my room at Leif. "This wasn't exactly an accident."

"No, it was stupidity."

I raise my hand in a crude gesture. My best friend returns it with one of his own.

"Hold steady, Elle," Ulric says. He tilts my head to the side and removes another tiny pebble from the scrape along my cheek.

Although I lost the fight, the soldiers in attendance gave me a round of applause as Leif and Ulric lifted me to my feet and escorted me to my room. Even if I never get to train, at least I've finally earned their respect.

Ulric applies a salve to the cuts on my face and hands with gentle fingers. The ointment sooths the sting but does nothing for my throbbing head. He straightens and gathers his medical tools from my table. "Continue to drink the tea; it'll take the edge off the pain and help with the swelling," he says, pointing to the cup sitting before me. "The rest of the healing will take some time. You fell hard on your hip, and it's probably going to hurt for a few days. But the salve will help make sure your lovely face is good as new."

"Thanks for everything; today would have been a bigger disaster if you weren't there." I smile up at him but just as quickly flinch from the pain.

He nods and heads for the door. "And don't worry; your determination outweighed your stupidity."

"Don't encourage her." Leif pushes off the wall and takes the chair across from me. He waits for Ulric to leave and asks, "So now what?"

I sip my bitter tea and breathe in its floral scent. "I train on my own and challenge Kyron again. Maybe I can use a spear next time and work the longer reach to my advantage."

"Micah is looking for you. It won't be long before the guards arrive and drag you back."

"Then help me with the limited time I have left."

Leif rubs his hand along the back of his neck and releases a long sigh. "My hands are tied, Elle. Maybe it's time to go home. You've met the soldiers looking for your father. You know they're the best."

"I have seen no such thing. Not once has anyone here spoke of him or gone on a rescue mission. They're not doing enough." I slam my palm against the tabletop.

"He's not their only priority, or did you forget we're at war?"

The needs of our kingdom come first is a lesson pounded and massaged into every fiber of my being. My wants can act as a hindrance to our people's betterment. It's the reason I've never put up a fuss about marrying Leif. My duty has always been at the forefront of my mind until my family was broken.

"I didn't forget, and he's my only priority, Leif."

We stare at each other, with our mouths set in firm lines. I'm not looking for his rational thoughts on the matter. This is a moment where I need my best friend—the boy who seeks big adventures and righting the wrongs in the world. I harden my gaze, willing him to admit I'm right, and he leans back, crossing his arms and not giving in.

A knock comes from the door, and Leif looks away. He walks across the room with an annoyed sigh and yanks open the door. His burly frame blocks my view, but the voice on the other side is unmistakable.

"I need to talk to her alone."

Leif opens the door wider to let Kyron in and gives me one last look. He isn't ready to succeed from his point of view on what the army is doing to rescue my father. But neither am I. More can be done; it needs to be done.