Fifty

Every single muscle in my body aches like I haven't moved in weeks, and the gentle rush of water threatens to lull me back to sleep, but I lift my heavy eyelids. My gaze wanders over the never-ending stretch of glossy black, and the beautiful baroque design reflecting from its surface. I trace the swirls of leaves until I reach a combined sun and moon adorned with a crown—the LeFur family crest. My heart drums against my ribs as my last moments of consciousness come rushing back to me.

The Electro in the cells electrocuted me.

It takes every ounce of my strength to slide my hands under my chest and push up from the ground. A long string of drool runs from my mouth to the shiny onyx floor, and my hair hangs haphazardly in a ponytail, with strands covering my face. I hold myself still, waiting for the room to stop spinning before running the back of my hand over my mouth.

"Not very becoming of a future queen, is she?" says a woman with a smoky voice.

Laughter erupts around me, and I brush the hair away from my face. Rows of people line the aisle I lay in. They wear extravagant clothes of feathers, lace, and silks, with their hair in elaborate braids or stiffly coiffed. Vibrant colors and outrageously long lashes accentuate their eyes, and their lips are over embellished in every imaginable shade. I squint against the sparkle of their jewels and stagger to my feet.

Before me stands a wide staircase, which breaks off in two. The steps curve upward around a dais and in the middle sits an enormous jewel encrusted throne with a chained man perched next to it.

"Papa," I say, rushing forward.

Several burly Stigian warriors block my path, glaring at me with dark, menacing eyes. I have little fear for them, just an all-consuming hatred. I beat my fists against the metal plates over their chests as tears and snot trail down my face. It doesn't matter what it takes. I will fight each of them to get to the throne.

Chains rattle and a gritty low voice says, "Stop, Raelle."

My arms stop mid-punch and focus on my father.

With his head bowed and shoulders slumped, he lifts his gaze, but the expression on his bearded face remains lifeless. He sits on a wooden stool too small for his long frame, dressed in his old formal military garb. The uniform has seen better days, frayed at the bottom and around the sleeve, and it is accessorized with an iron shackle encircling his neck. It tethers him to the bottom of the throne with a thick chain connected to his collar. Esmeray has beaten him into a mere fragment of the man he used to be.

"Now Raelle, you have already caused quite a stir in my kingdom. You will act civilized within my court or I'll have no choice but to send you to the cells until Micah can retrieve you."

I lift my gaze to the second landing above the dais. Esmeray stands before a waterfall flowing down from the arched ceiling. Under the stream is a marble statue of herself scantily clad, guarding over the entire room like she alone can grant everyone here their deepest desires. They many believe just that, but I know better.

I narrow my eyes and square my shoulders. "My newly weaponized army has already infiltrated your walls. You will let my father and me go or the casualties you'll face will be great. And Statera forbid you look like the weaker ruler to your pretty puppets."

"Your army fled almost as soon as you were captured."

My heart falls to the deep recesses of my stomach. They drew back and left me to fend for myself. Why would they do that when they had a choice? They vowed to rescue my father, and without them, I'm powerless against the Stigian queen.

Esmeray cocks her hips and places her hand over it. "And just a friendly reminder before you get any more violent thoughts in that pretty head, you are on sacred ground inside this place. Harm me while in the sanctuary and your crown is as good as gone. Along with the wards protecting your people from my warriors dragging them out of their land will fall. The Statera doesn't look kindly upon bloodshed on its floor."