Forty

I want to accompany Kyron to the stadium—I'm curious to know what he's up to—but Micah insists I ride with him and some other generals. They are deep in conversation as I stare out the window, recalling how collected Kyron presented himself during the meeting. He was the youngest leader there, yet he dominated the room. And the way he looked at me...I cross my legs and cover my lips with my hand as I suck them between my teeth. The man sparks something inside of me which is impossible to ignore.

The carriage stops in front of a tall red brick structure and the officers file out, followed by Micah. The king offers me his hand and loops our arms together. We stroll to the front gate of the stadium, falling behind the others. When we are alone in the passageway, Micah quietly says, "You and Kyron are interesting to watch together."

I keep my gaze ahead and ask, "Is that why you really called me into the meeting today? You wanted to see if what Borin told you was true?"

"My husband can be overbearing, but he cares about you, Raelle."

"I know." Even in my anger toward Borin, I never doubted his love for me. He's invested just as much time as my parents into guiding and nurturing me.

"It's understandable that the marriage between you and Leif will be unconventional." I open my mouth to protest, but he raises his hand. "I may have a few decades on you and Leif, but I still have my wits about me. You have known your entire life he would be your husband, and still you assisted him in his many conquests."

I watch our feet as we grow closer to the walkway leading up to the stands. "I love Leif, but there is no spark between us. We will never look at each other the way you look at Borin or feel so overwhelmed with need we excuse ourselves early from banquets." Micah raises a brow, and I sardonically say, "I notice things too."

Micah stops and places his hand on my shoulder, turning me to face him. He lowers his voice to almost a whisper. "Kyron can't be the one to warm your bed on lonely nights, Raelle. Your father and I have gone to great lengths to protect him, and although his soldiers accept him as one of their own, others will not so easily follow suit. The Stigian have deeply hurt our people, and it will take a lifetime for them to forgive and trust even one who did them no harm."

I shake my head, looking up at the rafters and fighting back my tears. If they only knew Kyron the way I do, how he runs into danger for them, bleeds for them, cars for them. They wouldn't be so quick to turn their backs. Whose lifetime will it take before they can forgive? Kyron's?

"Your feelings for him run deep," Micah says, lowering my chin.

"I—I'm not sure exactly what my feelings are for Kyron. They're intense and confusing. But I know he shouldn't be treated as an outcast and forced to hide the mistakes he unknowingly made as a child. Kyron should give us hope that our loved ones are not lost to the Stigian."

Micah cups my cheek and weakly smiles. "You will be that hope to our people. The lessons you learned from Kyron will play out during your rule."

"I hope you're right."

Guiding my hand to the crook of his elbow again, he says, "I'm the king. I'm all wise and knowing and the rest of that bullshit."

My eyes grow wide, and I laugh. It's a rare day when Micah lets his royal facade crack. He is always so poised in front of others. And when it comes to me, he takes his duty as my predecessor and role model of what a sovereign should be very serious. Then moments like this happen and I love getting to see the man beneath the crown.

"Shall we go see what your friend has come up with?"

"Knowing Kyron, it will be awe-inspiring."

"I'm sure it will."