Forty-Eight

Kyron pulls the reins on his horse and raises his fist. "Primary unit, we dismount here," he calls to the army behind him.

I slide down from the saddle, and my teeth clank together when my feet hit the stone ground. Placing my hands on my hips, I stare up at the enormous snowcapped mountain hovering over me. Since crossing the Stigian border, the land transformed into a flat, treeless wasteland void of all wildlife.

"Why would anyone want to be here?" I mumble while a member of the secondary unit ushers my horse away to the safe zone.

All the stories I grew up hearing of Stigian are nothing more than lies. Despite seeing the map of the capital and all the impressive structures, this land is desolate. Are the people who abandon Lucent for this place so desperate for something different they happily resort to this? I can't imagine trudging on and believing this land will give way to something better.

"We will march through the mountain pass in twos," Kyron says.

The soldiers pair up and move between the narrow split in the center of the mountain. I slide into the formation and a hand curls around my bicep, pulling me back.

"You're with me, princess."

I step to Kyron's side and patiently wait for his next order...I long for it. Until this moment, he hadn't spoken a word to me since this morning. I can see the worry in his eyes and the stress carried in his tense shoulders. He focuses on every passing face like he's logging them to memory, making sure we leave no one behind. When only a few soldiers remain, he takes my elbow and guides me into the line. And we enter the dark chasm.

Kyron holds out his palm and a small ember globe forms in the center, lighting our way. The flame flickers over the sharp lines of his face, making him appear hauntingly beautiful.

I can't help but to take advantage of the dark passageway and slide my hand into his. He stiffens, his fingers rigged inside mine.

"There is no need to be so tense, General. I'll be at your side to protect you the entire time."

He spares me a glance from the corner of his eye, and I flash him a grin. My attempt to keep things lighthearted flounders when he releases my hand.

"You must remember to keep to the plan no matter what happens, and everything will be all right," he says.

I move my face in front of his, lining up our eyes. "Are you saying that for my sake or yours? Because you don't need to reassure me; I know you have thought this through, and everything will work out."

His Adam's apple bobs, and he whispers, "It will."

The next hour marching through the mountain is silent, leaving me to wrestle with my thoughts. It's difficult to keep a clear head when so many lives are at stake. What if we didn't foresee something crucial?

What if the entrance we chose is guarded better than we thought? What if we can't find my father? What if this mission fails? I want to unleash my worries, share them with the man beside me. The fears are so clear on his face as well. I open and close my mouth several times when my anxiety mounts, but I choose to say nothing. Kyron has taken risks, put the lives of himself and his soldiers on the line before. I'm sure this is all part of his routine before a battle. I just wish it wasn't so quiet.

With every step closer to the Stigian capital, my heartbeats turn erratic and terrified trembles vibrate through me. I clasp my hands together to stop them from shaking. Every single one of my nerves is on edge, bouncing together like bubbles in a boiling water. I feel like the walls are closing in, trapping us between the troop's stretched shadows scaling up the mountain sides. Every flicker of light or unexpected sounds has me jumping and gripping the pummel of my sword. I might explode if the mountain pass doesn't come to an end soon.