CHAPTER 12: Privileged Information

********************************

After the classes ended Ella walked along the long corridor of her department building, seeing through everything and everyone around her.

Her thoughts strayed, unnecessarily getting away from her and ended up on what she saw yesterday.

It was a fairly common form of writing. Yes, not everyone writes it in that slant cursive like he does, but it's not exactly unique. She reasoned with herself.

Her legs almost had a mind of their own and took her to a familiar old willow, towards the back of the department building. The university campus was huge and was equipped with a lot of hangout spots hence this place was left alone. Very few people knew about that spot and among those who did, even fewer put an effort in getting there since it came with a little hike. It was on the path that led to the hillock behind the department buildings, quiet and away from the busyness that generally accompanied the student life.

The arching willow tree came into view and Ella picked up her pace as she neared it, the delicate branches of the tree grazed the ground in some places creating a curved canopy around itself. The trickling of the stream nearby could be heard faintly as she parted the branches to step closer to the bark only to get caught off guard to see someone else sitting there comfortably.

A familiar face looked up to meet Ella's gaze and they both froze for a hot second, both of them unsure about what's to be said.

Soon an easy smile tugged on his surprised face as he said, "We meet again, this is rather unexpected." He had a book in his hands that he kept aside and gave her his full attention. Her mind placed his attractive face instantly. It was that senior from the library, the one who helped her out with one of her assignments.

Ella looked embarrassed for walking in and disturbing his quiet, "I'm sorry, I didn't think there was anyone here."

"It's alright, I was trying to hide anyway, glad to know it worked....to some extent." He said a twinkle lit up his green eyes.

"I can see that." Ella took a step back, "You are almost one with nature." she said, pointing at his green shirt and black pants.

He looked down at himself and chuckled at his unintentional camouflage, "I tend to go a little overboard." but before she could walk away he added, "But I don't mind sharing my hideout if you don't mind me..."

Ella stopped and considered his offer, she didn't really have any other place in her mind and besides tolerating one person would be better than many, also she didn't want to be rude when he was being so nice. "Are you sure?" she asked, just to confirm. Thinking, he might just be saying that to be polite and might not really mean it.

"Absolutely." he smiled, welcoming.

Ella hesitated, but then decided not to make it awkward and stepped ahead to settle herself on a small patch of grass with a respectable distance to him. "I'm a little curious...What were you even hiding from?"