CHAPTER 23: Revelation

*****************************************************

The party wasn't going to end anytime soon and Ella was stuck there since she didn't have her own ride. Whoever said time moves faster when you're having fun was definitely a miserable loner. Just like Ella was or rather felt like.

She was still reeling from what Neo had said in his drunken state, but the only thing she felt was flattered. There wasn't anything else... and she wondered why she wasn't interested in exploring that at all.

The night seemed like it would go on forever, but Ella might as well have been sleeping with her eyes wide open, that's how much fun she was having.

A group of friends behind her were complaining about how bad the music was at the party. "It's just awful." A girl said.

"If you're expecting some classical music then you're at the wrong place." Some guy said.

Ella blocked them out, it's been a while since her ears became accustomed to the blend of sound around her, it was all white noise that she successfully shut out without much effort.

But it shocked her when suddenly her hearing senses had a mind of their own and turned in to listen to a conversation going on behind her eavesdropping without meaning to.

"I finished it yesterday, and I could not believe the ending...I cried my eyes out." a sharp voice cut through her bubble of calm.

"But why? It was a happy ending." said a different soft female voice.

"Please can we stop talking about Ivory Castle? It makes me tear up just thinking about it." spoke a deep male voice and a small amused smirk spread across Ella's lips.

"But why?" the same feminine voice repeated, "I don't understand why you guys are behaving as if it was a sad ending... It was such a sweet happy ending."

"If you think that, then you're just an optimist," said the guy.

Ella's interest was now piqued, she suddenly wanted to know what these strangers thought about her brother's book and so she turned slightly towards the group and observed them subtly.

It was an odd mix of people, the two girls were both beautiful in different ways. One of them was a short brunette with a cute bob-cut and small eyes, she had a pitchy voice but not in an annoying manner and she wore loose clothes even to a beach party clearly declaring that she couldn't care less about the 'dress code'.

The other girl was tall and talkative, her voice was soft and elegant, and her appearance was striking. She had thick red curls cascading down her shoulders as she talked animatedly utilizing all her facial expressions and hand gestures. Her piercing eyes could look right through you, but not in an intrusive way, her features were sharp and beautiful and she could easily intimidate anyone with her grace and confidence if it wasn't for the genuine mellow smile on her shapely lips. She wore a black tank top and jeans that accentuated her long legs.