CHAPTER 21: The Question

********************************************

Ella's college schedule was tiring as usual. Zoey cracked jokes while Ms Simmons was teaching fiction and telling them to make up characters with backstory while Zoey wanted all the characters to either die a horribly gruesome death, steal something or fall in love and end up with the worst person they possibly can. She was just pure sadistic and it was hilarious to watch.

Neo met her during Communications lecture and for once behaved in a very friendly manner, so those were the two classes that didn't completely bore her but she had four classes in a row that day which was rare and it sucked all the energy out of her body, but she still pushed herself to not give into the lethargy and went to meet her friends at their hangout spot- Jay's apartment since it was closest.

She couldn't opt out, not after she went out to look for a present to buy for Dan (it was a cool pair of sunglasses and she knew he was gonna love them), it was his birthday and they had big plans to cut a chocolate cake and sing a song and all that. 

Nora was full of energy, and so were Jay and Daniel as they all bickered over one thing or the other, their contagious spirit infected Ella soon enough and she found herself laughing and joking along with them.

They cut the cake, drank beer exchanged gifts, and clicked a bunch of mad crazy pictures and Dan was wearing sunglasses indoors in all of them.

Ella ended up at the library in the evening. Sitting in a chair she looked down at the piece of paper in her hands, wondering what she ought to do. She read through the contest guidelines once again and noted the most important information.

The story must include an aspect of : History, Art , Crime etc. Ella knew she had to finalize a theme first, it was great that the aspects were so broad, but the downside was now she had too many options to choose from.

Word limit: Should be under 1,500 words, excluding the cover page with Author's name, title/degrees, professional affiliation and location and a biography of no longer than 100 words. 1,500 words, she deliberated, this was going to be hard, she knew she had a habit of overwriting.

Deadline: 1st December 2018, at 12 pm (Noon) CST. Late submissions will not be considered. She had a couple of months, but she didn't want to push it to the very last minute.

She sighed and gathered her long hair high up in a ponytail, secured it with a hair tie and opened her laptop. She began looking through sources with a newfound determination. Her writing process was elaborate and messy as she wrote and scraped and scribbled and scratched multiple notes and topics.

The graphite scratched and left streaks on the pages of her notebook and successfully she had managed to distract herself from the letter she had been deliberating about all day, but she knew she had to leave something before she walked out of the library, or she wouldn't sleep very well.