CHAPTER 30: Temptation

*******************************************

The professor went on and on about researching and illustration for better and effective communication and Ella took notes. When the class ended she loitered in the corridor since her next class "creative nonfiction" had been cancelled for the day and her hunger made itself known with a vengeance. That's what college life has reduced to- classes, eating and studying.

"What to do now?" Jay asked no one in particular, he couldn't think of anything to engage himself for the unexpected small break they were given.

"I'm hungry," Ella said flatly.

"I guess that settles it." Jay smiled and they began walking to the coffee house. "Why do I feel that Mr Gerald is going to assign us some complicated assignment to make up for the lost hour?"

"Because you've come to know his teaching habits..." She voiced it plainly, they stepped out of the department building and followed a trail that leads to the coffee-house a lot quicker.

Walking a few steps in front of them was a familiar guy, Ella walked up to him and gently tapped his shoulder. She smiled as he turned around. "Hey." She greeted him.

"Hey, Ella." Andrew smiled back and noticed Jay beside her, he extended him a greeting as well, "Jay, how are you?"

"I'm fine, but you don't look so well, third year not agreeing with you?" Jay asked good-naturedly, noticing the dark shadows beneath his eyes.

"I just had too many drafts to handle this weekend." Andrew, said offhandedly, "Nothing a strong coffee can't fix."

"Join us, we're heading the same way..." He offered and they fell in step.

Ella looked between them confused, wondering why they seemed so close.

"He's one of Patrick's friends," Jay said as he read her questioning eyes and she nodded right away.

"What do you mean, too many drafts? Assignments?" She asked and he shook his head before answering.

"No it wasn't that, work just piled up from my part-time job- I work as an editor for a communications website." He answered.

"That sounds stressful." And a lot of responsibility, she frowned, but the admiration in her tone was unmistakable.

"It's not too bad, working hours are flexible and I can work remotely, benefits are alright too." Andrew shrugged as they neared the coffee house and he held the door open for them to enter.

They entered and found a table easily, it was comparably a little less busy than most mornings- afternoon really since the clock was about to strike twelve.

"I'll go order for us," Jay said and walked away to order, after asking what each of them wanted.

"I'll come with you." Ella insisted but he shook his head with a smile.