CHAPTER 27: First date

***************************************************************************

"I don't want to look like I'm trying too much but it shouldn't come off as I didn't try at all," Ella said analysing her outfit choice for the date as she stood in front of her full-length mirror and looked at herself under bright lights while Nora sat on her bed and ate Cheetos noisily.

"It's not bad, but maybe you should wear a skirt, you look no different than how you look every day," Nora said, giving a once over to her baby blue crop top and white ankle-length pants.

Ella contemplated her friend's words, as she looked at herself "Maybe it's better that way..." It was just going to be a movie date anyway.

Nora shrugged, "Suit yourself, you look nice either way... you have a cute-yet pretty face, it can't be helped."

Ella laughed. "You're just flattering me because you want to raid my snack drawer," she said gesturing at the Cheetos Nora ate messily.

She didn't even try to hide her Cheshire smile. "You know me too well..." a beat passed in silence and she spoke again, "El, have you thought about what you're going to do if it's not him?"

Ella froze in the middle of adjusting her clothes for a millisecond and then continued again as if nothing happened, "I said it could be him, not that it is..."

"But you wish it's him." Nora voiced her thoughts and she suddenly couldn't look at herself in the mirror.

Ella looked away and turned to meet Nora's gaze, "Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but even if he's not Elliot I like Neo for who he is...maybe we'll hit it off...who knows?" She shrugged, appearing casual, even though she was nervous as hell and desperately wanted to believe her own words. Ella grabbed her shoes and quickly secured them around her feet, then she picked up her sling bag, jacket and walked out the room saying, "Save some for me..."

Nora ignored that comment, stuffed more Cheetos in her mouth and hollered, "Have fun on your date... I want all the details later."

Ella chuckled just as the doorbell went off. He was right on time. She rushed to open the door and found Neo standing there with a small smile, "Hey Ella," He said softly in his deep voice, his gaze swept over her quickly, "You look really nice..."

Ella stared fixedly at the flower stem in his hand and asked, "Is that for me?"

He looked down, at his hand by his side, blushed and then held out the single purple tulip for her. "It is..."

Ella smiled at the sweet gesture, felt all giddy and fluttery as she received the flower, "Thanks, you look nice too." He looked really good in his casual polo light-grey shirt peeking from underneath his open black hoodie jacket and pants, she was glad they were both in a similar form of informal wear.