Chapter 13: He Jianxi, A Man Who Can't Be Beaten To Death

Zhang Ruipu watched as Zhang Haiyan walked down the corridor without looking back, and then said to the young man beside him, "Look at him. Once this young man makes up his mind, he won't let any emotions get the best of him. But he's sentimental and loyal, which is rare to see."

The young man beside him asked, "Will he obediently board the ship and investigate the case?"

"It's hard to predict what he'll do since his friend's life is in our hands. Schemers always try and come up with ways to solve practical problems, so he'll find an opportunity to rescue his friend. He won't necessarily comply with the rules we've set." Zhang Ruipu looked at his pocket watch. "But it should be difficult for him to escape with our people escorting him to the dock."  

"Master, don't you think he's uncontrollable? What if he never comes back, or can't solve the case and decides to come back?"

Zhang Ruipu smiled. "While he's on his way to the dock, those people will tell him clearly what his best option is."

With that said, Zhang Ruipu looked up and saw Zhang Haijiao staring at them from the other side of the corridor. The little girl didn't look afraid at all, as if the plague had made her numb to life and death.

Meanwhile, Zhang Haiyan was being escorted by two people. His mind was very clear as walked along the streets.

The two men escorting him had already explained how things would go as soon as he had walked out the door. Zhang Haixia and the others would be taken away from the Southern Archives' Malacca branch, and all traces of them would be removed. If Zhang Haiyan boarded the ship and then snuck off, he would only see an empty house when he returned.

Zhang Haiyan knew how big the rubber plantations in Penang were. Moreover, Zhang Ruipu's informants were on the ship. If Zhang Haiyan didn't board and Zhang Ruipu received a telegram about it, Zhang Haixia would be fed to the indigenous headhunters.

That meant that the time he could act was very short. He would have to kill the two people behind him when he reached the next crossroad, and then immediately go back and rescue everyone.

But just as he saw the crossroad and was preparing to do something, the young man next to him spoke up, "I know what you're thinking, but they'll already be gone by the time you make it back. Not only is the master watching you, but we also have eyes and ears on this street. Once you pass this crossroad, behave and focus on investigating the case." 

Zhang Haiyan let out a long sigh, straightened his military cap, and quickly dropped the idea.

He wasn't the type of person who would be torn between things. As long as there was a way out, he would choose the most reasonable method as quickly as possible. But Zhang Haixia was a fastidious person, and it was impossible to say whose way of thinking was right. Over the past few years, both sides had been right and wrong, but now both of them could only rely on whatever Zhang Haiyan could come up with.

"If I die during the investigation, will you let Shrimp go?" Zhang Haiyan asked the young men beside him. When they remained silent and didn't answer, Zhang Haiyan smiled bitterly.

There was a sudden commotion on the nearby street corner, and he stopped. The two people beside him were very nervous and immediately inched closer to him. Zhang Haiyan didn't even get the chance to see what had happened clearly before they pushed him forward.

He frowned, thinking that something was wrong if these extraordinary young people were afraid of something on the street.

He looked over, but found that everything was the same as usual.