(Extra Story: Spin Off Case) Chapter 2: The Angel Who Attracts the Plague God

Spin-Off Case: The Map In The Dream

In the pub, Zhang Haiyan ordered some bread and dipped it in his beer before slowly eating it.

There were a lot of Chinese people both inside and outside the pub who were unwilling to leave. They obviously wanted to know how things would develop.

The long-haired priest Madison had his chin in his hand as he looked at Zhang Haiyan. It was making Zhang Haiyan increasingly uncomfortable.

As he ate, Zhang Haiyan felt his appetite slowly disappear.

His shackles hadn't been removed yet, and many people around them were pointing at them. It didn't matter to Zhang Haiyan since he had always lived like this, but Madison's gaze was making him feel unsettled for the first time.

"You're a precious gem in this world," Madison exclaimed after he had stared at Zhang Haiyan for a while. He then pinched the bridge of his nose and continued, "You're really a precious gem in this world. It's fortunate that I rescued you; otherwise, there would've been one less gem in the world."

As Zhang Haiyan chewed on the bread, the sound of the others around them became more irritable.

"I'm a despicable man, Father Ma [1]. If you're a collector of despicable people, then you've reached the peak of your achievements today. Otherwise, I'm useless to you," Zhang Haiyan said.

Madison ordered another glass of beer and pushed it over to Zhang Haiyan before saying, "Mr. A Bin was almost beheaded just now. But now when you're drinking beer, every sip you take is the same amount. Although I've been watching you for a long time, every sip you take is the same. Deep down, Mr. A Bin is an extremely cautious person. That critical moment between life and death had no effect on you."

Zhang Haiyan looked down at his beer glass and thought to himself, is that so?

He didn't show any reaction in front of Madison, but he immediately knew that the other man was right. He was drinking his beer like this because he planned to make a run for it later. He didn't want to drink too fast in case he messed things up. Moreover, his mouth wasn't like that of others. He couldn't drink in gulps.

He had developed this habit of eating steadily when he was in Xiamen.

A thought suddenly flashed through his mind, maybe I shouldn't make a run for it. I can just kill this foreigner instead.

Madison had no idea that the other person was planning to kill him and kept on talking, "Many people can't see that. A Bin, I'm the only one who knows you aren't an ordinary person. You must have made many stories in China before you came to the South Sea."

I didn't even want to come here in the first place, Zhang Haiyan thought to himself.

Madison ordered another beer and pushed it over to Zhang Haiyan. "Have you made a decision? Do you want to give birth to a child?"

Zhang Haiyan looked at the Chinese people around him and whispered, "Let me repeat it again. That word is pronounced 'interrogate', not 'give birth'. They mean totally different things. [2]"

Zhang Haiyan was almost frightened to death when Madison asked him to give birth to a child earlier. He thought he had some supernatural constitution which enabled him to get pregnant. Or that Madison wanted him to have a baby with a woman in order to practice some kind of western sorcery. He had heard a lot of these western legends before. Similar to some Chinese herbal medicines, the key to this kind of sorcery was goat horns or the skin of five-legged lizard skins, which were things that you couldn't come by at all. Maybe Madison needed a biracial child descended from an Asian man and an island woman.