Chapter 15: Energy to Matter

Copyright 2021 by John Wells. All Rights Reserved.

I process the lesson Debbie downloaded last night, while I was sleeping walking to the kitchen on Sunday. Two hours of sleep so no amount of energy can wake me up. She sends the next as I eat our breakfast cereal. Jane adds an espresso jolt to my coffee. The caffeine helps immensely. I make a second to go cup as I leave the kitchen. Between the caffeine and energy, I get my second wind.

As I built the camera yesterday, I was having Debbie teach me electronics as well. I now understand how they do what they do. I can read Debbie’s schematics with ease now, but creating them is beyond me. Using that knowledge, I recreate the camera I made for space yesterday. However, with some design consulting from Debbie, I replace the directional sender components with something I make up now. I do the same for yesterday’s receiver and its reception components.

Given the vast expanse of space, line-of-sight communications makes little sense. To hold a conversation with somebody on the moon, you would have to wait over two seconds before the first word would reach them. We needed an instantaneous communication mechanism.

This required trusting the magic to fill in the details. I make a wish and the result is a mini wormhole connecting both devices within two tiny integrated circuits (ICs) one in each device. Debbie showed me how to get the power to my chip on the receiver side and feed that power to the sender. She showed me how to feed the data from the sender into my chip to the receiver. The chips are not identical. The receiver side feeds power to maintain the wormhole after magic creates it.

Having seen the wormhole in existence while my magic created the ICs. I know how to recreate it once power is available. The wormhole will get formed by my magic and get maintained by the power on the receiver side, once in the network with power.

Given there is a backup generator for our AI and her network, there is little need to worry about power loss. My data lines travel through the wormhole, as does the power to the camera. Without the wormhole, the lines extend past the point I place the wormhole. I leave the camera outside, pointed at the horses.

I head downstairs to Debbie’s server room. I hook the receiver up to the network and create the wormhole in both devices, connecting them. She actually sees the horses through my new devices. I transport outside to collect the camera and transport it to the waterfall. Once again, she receives the image without issue.

Debbie designs the cameras using my new IC so we can place one on all satellites needed for full coverage around the planet as I transport back to her. This camera can move to search an area while zooming in to see more details. As I build the first, she designs a receiver for all the cameras plus extras for future expansion. Adding the robotic controls is tricky for me until Debbie mentions the current cameras have them. That made it easy to copy them.

I build the receiver next asking Debbie for a personal Bluetooth device so we have access wherever we are. Once done, I replace the previous version of the receiver with the new one on the network. I recreate the wormhole to the camera at the waterfall. Next, I clone the camera for all we need and connect their wormholes together with the new receiver.

Debbie instead presents a new phone design, which I change mine into and connect its wormhole to the receiver. The phone now gets directly connected to our network via a wormhole, so any place in the Galaxy I will have instantaneous access to Debbie and, since the power gets transferred through also, the battery will never need charging. I transport out to the original satellite, remove the original camera, and with Debbie’s direction place the first three cameras: one facing the north pole, second the south pole, and third toward the Sun because that is the current position it is facing. At midnight, it would point out of the solar system. During the transport, I filled the spot I left with air from near the Kármán line.