Knowhere Part 1, aka, Now I Wanna Blow Up Moons

A/N: How's your day going?

I sit silently on a stool at the table, watching Rocket tinker with some part of the ship. It's a game, I convince myself. See if you can guess what he's building without him noticing you. It's not staring, it's entertainment. Peter shakes me out of my thoughts, a skill he acquired quickly in our youth and uses almost as often as his Walkman.

"Woah, woah, woah! Yo, Ranger Rick! You can't take apart my ship without asking me!"

"Our ship," I reveal myself, and both boys jump.

"How do you do that!?" Peter shouts.

"I'll never tell."

"Anyway," he turns to Rocket, "You can't take apart OUR ship without asking US. See, what is this?" Peter gestures to what I've guessed is a bomb.

"Don't touch that, it's a bomb." I knew it was a bomb!

"A bomb!?" Peter shouts incredulously.

"Yep," Rocket answers.

"And you leave it lying around?!"

"I was gonna put it in a box."

"What's a box gonna do!?"

"Hold the bomb," I answer this time. Rocket pulls out a present I learned the hard way not to touch, and speaks up before I can warn him.

"How about this one?"

"No! Woah! Hey! Hey! Leave it alone!" Peter kicks the present from Rocket's hand and back into the drawer that was holding it.

"Why? What is it?"

"Shut up!"

"Hey!"

I attempt to stop the argument via changing the subject. "What is that?" I point to another thing Rocket has built out of parts of the ship.

"That's for if things get really hardcore. Or if you wanna blow up moons."

"Well, now I wanna blow up moons."

Rocket smiles. "This is why you're my favorite idiot Groot and I have met so far."

"Thanks, I think."

"No one's blowing up moons," Gamora enters the room.

"You just wanna suck the joy out of everything," Rocket turns to whisper to me. "Don't worry, Princess. I'm sure we can find a few uninhabited moons after this deal's over and Miss Party Pooper's gone."

I giggle quietly and nod. Wait a minute. My smile widens, as I realize Rocket just admitted to me that he wouldn't mind spending time with me, without it having to do with units. It's still not friendship, or something else I won't admit to wanting, but it's a lot closer than attempting to capture each other for bounties. Once again, Peter uses his hard-worked and perfected skill of jostling me from my thoughts. This time by trying an old outlaw trick Yondu taught us on Gamora.

"Listen, I'm gonna need your buyer's coordinates."

"We're headed in the right direction, for now."

"If we're gonna work together, you might wanna try trusting me a little bit."

"And how much do you trust me?"

Peter takes the Orb from Gamora's hand. I'd trust you a lot more if you told me what this was. Because I'm guessing it's some kind of weapon," he places it on the table.