Ch. 24 Agreement part 1

Marina

I was watching Declan and Elena as they played around in the kitchen. They were laughing and playing with frosting, it was really cute to watch. Then Declan suddenly got quiet, I could tell he was getting upset thinking about the past. He'd hated not having his sister to share his childhood with. The sound of his sad voice pulled me out of my thoughts, for a moment I just stood there listening. Until I realized what he was about to tell her, he was going to tell her the truth about everything. I couldn't let that happen, we still didn't know who was putting Elena and Liam in danger.

"What's going on in here? Oh, those smell so good!" I said, looking over at the freshly cooked desserts. 

I walked over, grabbed a cinnamon roll from the tray, and sat down at the bar to eat it. When Elena turned away from me I shot Declan an icy glare. He grimaced as if he was a child who'd just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"I took Liam to your room already, so he's with Alec. I hope that's okay, I didn't know you were down here," I said with a smile, after taking another bite of the sticky treat. When Elena hears that, her mood changes spontaneously. 

"Yeah that's fine, I'll just take some of these upstairs then. And I'll see you guys later," she said cheerily, adding a couple more rolls to her plate before rushing upstairs. I smiled softly as I watched her go, thinking of how great of a mother she was. I heard a throat being cleared then my glare returned as I faced Declan.

"G-Good morning mother," Declan said, trying to be nonchalant. 

I  continued glaring at him and even started tapping my fingernails on the counter. 

"I know you are mad at me at the moment but I just wanted her to know. I know what's at stake but I miss her," he said sadly. 

"Declan clearly you don't understand! We don't know who is trying to hurt her or why! I thought you were able to handle this, but it seems like you can't!" I yelled at him.

"But mother doesn't this bother you? Don't you want her to know that she's your daughter? Don't you want to have that mother daughter bond that you missed? Because hell, I do! I never got to protect her from bullies, or have scary talks with her boyfriends. I never got to be her big brother, I missed out on so many things that brothers are supposed to do. It really hurts that I didn't get the chance to do any of it!" He said, tears ran unchecked down his face. 

It was the first time he'd cried since finding out she was alive. He'd always been tough, trying to be a man through everything. Elena being kidnapped, his dad saying she was probably dead, and now having her come back into their lives. 

I took a deep breath and let it out, then I pushed away from the bar and stood up. I walked over to him and gently wrapped my arms around him, I held him as he cried for all the memories he could never have with his sister. 

When he finally calmed down, I looked straight into his eyes, " I understand all that, but what if it wasn't me who was eavesdropping? What if it was your father or Alec? You know that they would have been very cross with you," I said sternly.

"What if we did? What if we both agreed that it was time to tell her. Especially since I just marked her," Alec said, leaning against the wall. 

My husband walked across the kitchen to the coffee pot without making a sound. Liam was sitting on a chair waiting patiently for a cinnamon roll, too focused to pay attention to the conversation going on around him.

"Hi grandpa, grandma, and uncle!" Liam said, happily waving. We all stood frozen in shock.

"How did you know?" I said in wonder.