[ fourteen]

"Cedric?" Nell asks in a loud voice

Evelyn leans over, all the way across the couch, and throws her hand over her friend's mouth. "Shhh! Nell!"

She speaks into Evelyn's palm with her pretty blue eyes wide and round like diamonds. Nothing but muffles escape. Evelyn removes her hand and raises her brows to listen.

"Sorry," Nell whispers. "Anyhow— um, what? Is this like a date?" Her gaze stays wonderous. "Where are you going? And since when are you interested in him?"

"Since never," Evelyn is quick to say. "I don't fancy him..."

"Then why did you say yes?" Nell asks her. "You can't deny he's kind of a cutie."

Evelyn rolls her eyes, a rush of blood rising to her cheeks. "Okay, fine. He is, but that doesn't mean I want to date him," she reasons. "I don't want to date anybody right now."

"Really?" Nell questions.

Evelyn shrugs, unsure of the certainty of her own statement. "I mean... I dunno. I don't see the point of it right now, I suppose. We're so young. We have time."

Nell looks at her friend curiously. Her head inclines on its own and her curly ponytail tumbles to the side. "Hm... You have a point, Evie."

Evelyn nods, "I know..."

+++

They hadn't spoken more than a few words to Evelyn in a week now, so not telling her of the first choice of the weekend was kind of dealt into their hand and she was always with either Nell or Diggory so getting her alone wasn't exactly easy to talk about the other choice they'd made.

It frustrates the both of them, for sure.

Fred keeps trying to crack jokes with her, get her to laugh, but all he would get was an oddly dissatisfied gaze. George doesn't sleep well and always lets these worrisome thoughts run in circles in his head.

He could barely even focus as Fred hands Harry the map.

He glance at the blank parchment before looking up at Fred and George. "What's this rubbish?" He asks.

Fred scoffs, "'what's this rubbish?' he says. That there is the secret to our success!"

"It's a wrench giving it to you, believe me," George adds.

"But," Fred holds up a hand boastfully, "we've decided, your needs are greater than ours..." He then glances at his brother. "George, if you will."

George draws out his wand and enunciates the correct incantation.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..."

And he taps the centerfold.

Maroon ink bleeds onto the page. The twins lean onto the next stable thing near them and grin at one another while Harry watches the title page form in front of him.