[ sixteen ]

"So, I'll let you pair off," Professor McGonagall tells the class

"So, I'll let you pair off," Professor McGonagall tells the class. Immediately, eyes dart back and forth throughout the room. A few finger signals were passed as discreetly as possible (which was not at all).

Meanwhile, the only one who wasn't paying any sort of attention was Evelyn. Her concentration was tuned in on the lion charm. Its belly had revealed another letter and some numbers Sunday morning and she had noticed it as they were leaving The Burrow for King's Cross.

L
211256H

She wasn't even looking up from her desk, well, her wrist, despite the fact that Jasmine's eyes were bearing holes into the back of Evelyn's head as McGonagall continues to instruct the class.

'V' - 'U' - 'L', 211256H 990AD... what the actual fuck—

"Due Friday when you walk in the door," McGonagall instructs curtly, "Yes?"

Various nods come from the students.

"Okay," she sighs. "Go."

Hushed conversation bursts in the arched-ceiling room. Shuffling brings students from one seat to another, their books and parchment in tow as they prepare to chat for the remainder of the hour and make dates for Thursday when most will actually write the paper.

Jasmine sits and continues to watch Evelyn from her seat in the back of the room in waiting. After a solid twenty seconds she sighs loudly and cups her dainty hands around her mouth.

"Wyre!" She barks.

Evelyn whips her head around and looks at her friend blankly.

Jasmine waves her on with her hand. "Well come on then, quit lagging!"

"Right!" Evelyn spins back in the heavy wooden chairs, grabs her Transfigurations: Level V book and drops it in her leather messenger bag along with the parchment sat at her seat to relocate herself back at Jasmine's desk for the rest of class. "Sorry, a bit spaced..." she mutters.

"I can see," she chuckles. "Thinking of a certain red-headed twin, are we?" She questions, making Evelyn's eyes shoot up to her as she leans on the edge of the desk. "Or maybe a favorable brown-locked golden boy," she counters with a dainty smile.

Evelyn chews on the inside of her cheek and glances down her friend's green and silver striped tie. "No... neither of them. I'm quite content with my thoughts being non-boy related, thank you very much."

Another laugh rolls past her lips. "Okay, Evie."

"Oh, please," Evelyn scoffs, "If we're on about anything boy-related, it should be about you and a certain Gryffindor bloke with dark-hair and a knack for commentating."

Jasmine only shrugs, her ebony-toned gaze still clicked with Evelyn's, and tilts her head. "What about it?"

"The broom closet and spare classroom corridor?" Evelyn questions. "Spare me, Jaz. We both know it's mack & shag central of Hogwarts. How do you expect me to think anything but when the two of you turn up out of there alone after missing from breakfast?"