[ twenty-one ]

She shuffles down the empty hall

She shuffles down the empty hall. The plastic toe of her shoes occasionally sends a soft echo into the cool, sandy
bricks as she pads her way down the hall towards his office.

She looks to be a slight wreck, if we're being blunt. She took her tangled hair into a bun before she started into the castle halls, not even bothering to change from George's jumper and the black sports shorts she pulled on once she and Nell had made it back to their dorms. Her mascara is stained under her eyes and up along her lash lines, not to mention she can barely keep them open with the low energy and heavy and running sickly slow through her veins. Her nose is rubbed red and one side of her face has a distinct pillow crease line where a smeared lipstick stain also sits from Nell's cherry kiss after tucking her in.

She approaches the grand door, more and more familiar and comforting it becomes each time she nears it. Knocking, there's a tired "come in" in response.

She opens the door slowly, carefully so as to not let the creaking scratch her eardrums.

His head immediately picks up at the sudden disruption, a quill still in his hand and a cup of tea frozen in the other. Seeing who's sneaking through the door, he relaxes.

Evelyn smiles tiredly at him, her pasty hands closing the door so slowly he's unsure if it's moving or not.

He begins to chuckle at the sight of her. "Oh my, dear— Evelyn, I'm so sorry." She walks heavy footed up to his desk as he bites down the neck string of laughs. "I don't mean to laugh," he tells her.

She chews on the inside of her cheek. "Mhm... yes you do." She's nodding as her hands rest on the edge of his desk, supporting her entire frame in its exhausted state. "I look like I just got into a nest of Wizbee Flies."

He presses his thin lips together. "You do," he admits timidly. "Good Godric, what ever happened?"

Evelyn shrugs, "Erm... don't ask?" She cringes at the thought of admitting that she was piss drunk last night to her professor. As much as she trusts him with a variety of other subjects, under age drinking was still underage drinking. The whole student body of any school anywhere in the world has an unspoken rule of 'no, we don't tell adults what contraband we pass around on a weekend night'.

Lupin waits a long moment, his eyes narrowing on the girl and her tired physique. "Evelyn, I went here for a number of years not that long ago—"

"House party," she sighs, unable to focus for her whole lecture.

"I figured." He nods. He sets down his quill and reaches down into a drawer for an extra cup.

"Well..." She brows a silk strand of hair from her eyes, "It was George and Fred's birthday... and I didn't want to go, but George pulled me into it and of course I said yes—"

His brow raises, the corner of his lip pulling up even more as he flicks his wand, water appearing immediately into the cup.

"—because I already felt bad about not being around for my birthday when they had this whole thing planned before they went to egypt." Remus hands her the water as she continues her rambling. "So I went and I told myself I was just going to hang around because they're fun, really..." she pauses to take a long sip from the silver cup.