Part 87

Previously in YOJA: Fresh starts are fragile things. The last promise plucked from your lips before leaving LA for Madrid was to be better. Wasn't that what we all strived for? Being a better person today than we were yesterday? Seeing a better tomorrow? Even with Tom as close as he is once he returns to the UK, there's still the complication of your full schedules to figure out. When - when will he come visit? When will things settle between the pair of you? Will things ever return to what they once were?

 When - when will he come visit? When will things settle between the pair of you? Will things ever return to what they once were?

        You tuck yourself into the chair by the window, finally finding a semi quiet moment to coordinate with Tom to figure out when he'll come visit you. After a morning call you'd emailed him the tentative dates that would be best, with the promise to call again to discuss things when you found the time. That promise, just like his to come visit, kept getting pushed back further and further. At this rate the danger is that you'll finish up in Madrid without being able to take advantage of the minimal distance needed to travel to see one another.

You glance at the time and wince as you tap the sequence to initiate a video call with Tom – it's well into the evening. Hopefully he won't be upset. Hopefully he'll answer. He'd said that he understood that you had a full day, that he looked forward to whatever moments could be spared.... You can't shake the feeling that the pair of you are simply walking on eggshells with one another.

"'lo, darling." Tom's bright smile wobbles as he answers, juggling the device in his hands as he stands. "Hello? Shit. Crap. Hang on...." The image of him steadies long enough for you to register that he's at home, though moving from wherever he'd been set up – perhaps seeking better lighting, "Long day?"

You cast your attention to the corner of the screen, taking in your own appearance before leaning to adjust the way your tablet is propped up on the windowsill. "Hey, yea..." You're determined to ignore the bit of queasiness and nerves trying to take hold. He'll get settled and the image will stop jerking around on your screen – and he's clearly happy to see and hear from you. You breathe out another affirmative response, sucking in your lower lip for a second before smiling at him in return, "I'm sorry. I wanted to call sooner but—"

He's already shaking his head before you can finish the apology and explanation, waving away your words, "Like you said this morning. Looked like a full day. And we're talking now." He tips his head, smile melting into something more mischievous as he clicks on a lamp and plops into one of his favorite pieces of furniture – an overstuffed chair, "But I wouldn't say no to a few details."

Ever the fanboy keen to learn anything he can about the world of Touring Sundays. Some things will never change. You shake your head at him, settling in further as a laugh bubbles up. There we go. Distraction is the key to keeping that lingering uncertainness from taking hold. "No. No way. I want you to be surprised when we go to the screening."

"Surprised? I can be surprised. There's this thing called acting. I'm told I'm very good."

Delighted warmth starts spreading through you, chasing everything else away. Why were you worried about calling so late, again?  "You—"