III

It was finally Sunday and the last day of that tiring and normal week. I decided to wake up in the morning and head over to the nearby coffee shop to sit and relax a bit- something I rarely did anymore.

I walked in the small shop and felt like all my problems just disappeared. The smell of coffee and the freshly baked snacks filled in my lungs as I walked over to the counter.

"Long time no see, Monica," the woman behind the counter greeted me as I walked over at her.

"Good morning, Estelle," I greeted the blonde woman with a smile. We had known each other for a long time now but I wouldn't consider her a friend. We hadn't talked about anything else rather than everyday small talk. I just visited the shop often and she knew me already. "The usual, please," I sat on the stool next to the counter.

"Right up," she walked over to the coffee machine. "So, how's everything?" she asked me genuiely curious.

"Oh, uh, fine. Everything's fine."

"Just fine? Come on, tell me more!" she poured the coffee she just made in a paper cup.

"My life is pretty boring, as you know. Record store in the morning, bar in the night, ruined sleep schedule, etcetera," I laughed lightly and took my wallet out. "What about you?"

"Eh, everyday is the same," she shrugged and placed the coffee in front of me. "Want one of these?" she pointed at one of the soft cookies.

"Sure," I shrugged and took some money out of my brown wallet.

"No, no, it's on the house. Don't worry about it," she laughed and refused to take my money. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Anyways, how is Jade?" I took a sip of my hot coffee and nearly burnt my tongue. Jade was her girlfriend and a lovely woman.

"She's fine," she smiled at me and started looking through some papers that seemed to be the bills. "What about you? Any men in your life?" she winked at me teasingly and I rolled my eyes.

I'm not going to lie, my mind flew right at Alex. I had been trying to convince myself I'm not interested in that man. He was more into models anyway and I certainly wasn't one of them. He was famous, why would he be interested in a woman working two jobs a day to survive?

"Nah, not really," I shook my head and took a bite of my soft cookie. "Although, my ex recently called me," I raised my eyebrows, remembering about it.

"Not that stupid bastard again," she rolled her eyes and let the papers down, walking over to me with her coffee on her left hand.

"Yes, him," I let the cookie down. "Anyways, he asked to get back together because apparently 'I was the only one for him'," I mocked his voice and wiped my mouth with a tissue.

"You didn't accept, did you?" Estelle widened her eyes in fear and I laughed at her reaction.

"I'm not stupid, Estelle," I rolled my eyes and gave her a look. She laughed with me and looked over at the door which opened, ringing the bell on top of it.

"Welcome," she smiled at the customer that had just entered. I turned around to look out of curiosity with my coffee still in my hands. It was the drummer, Alex's friend.

"Oh, hi!" I waved my free hand and smiled at the tall man.

"'Ey! You're the woman from the bar, aren't you?" he smiled back at me and took a seat on the stool next to mine.

"Yes, that's me," I nodded and took a sip of my coffee. "And if I'm not mistaken, you're Matt," I added confidently.

"And that's me," he chuckled and ordered his coffee.

"So you guys know each other?" Estelle intruded as she kept making Matt's coffee.

"We met at the bar I work a couple of days ago," I answered as I finished my soft cookie.

We spent around thirty minutes talking, the three of us. Matt was a great and funny guy. I was happy I met him. My mind just kept telling me to ask him where Alex was, though. I just needed to talk to him. I hadn't even got his phone number the night before.

"It was nice talking to you, girls, but unfortunately, I need to go," Matt stood up from the stool and Estelle and I whined, making him laugh.

"I need to go too. I'm planning on meeting up with my friend," I stood up too, wearing my brown coat on top of my white turtleneck.

"I'll see you guys around then," Estelle smiled at us, revealing her pearly white teeth.

"Sure thing," Matt replied happily and I waved at her as we exited the shop. We weren't outside the shop for more than two seconds but I already missed the smell of coffee.

"By the way, I'm Monica," I let Matt know since we hadn't really introduced ourselves properly before.

"Oh, I already know your name. Alex told us you two saw each other yesterday at the bar," he started walking down the street. I raised my eyebrows, who was 'us'?

"Yeah," I let out a faded laugh and waited for him to continue the convesation as I shoved my hands in the huge pockets of my coat. I didn't know what else to say.

"You know, we are playing tonight, you should come," he stopped in front of a black car.

"Yeah, sure, I'd love to!" I exclaimed. "I just need the address and stuff, you know," I laughed.

"Here's my phone number," he gave me a small card with his name and phone number on it. "I'll text you the details once I'm home," he gave me a warming smile to which I responded with a nod.

Matt offered to drive me home but I refused. My house was just down the street anyway. I waved at him as he drove off and stayed looking at the card I had just been given.

The January wind made me shiver and secure my coat as I walked down the street. My boots weren't enough to keep my feet warm and I had already started to get irritated. I continued walking but then something on the other side of the street made me stop. There was my boss, Makayla, leaning back on a street light, while Alex was in front of her with his hands on her waist.

I could hear her annoying laugh from miles away and it made my blood boil. Why the hell was she with him and most importantly, why did they seem so close to each other?

I kept looking at them as they were probably flirting with each other. Suddenly, Alex turned his head towards my direction and I immediately started walking down the street again, looking at my motorcycle boots clicking on the ground. I didn't know if he was looking at me or not but he had noticed me.

I continued walking to my house with my hands still in my pockets, trying to keep my coat closed. The cold wind was washing over my face and made my nose run and probably also red.

The image of Makayla and Alex kept replaying in my head. How he had his hands on her small waist and how her annoying laugh echoed through the busy street. Was that jealousy? God, no. I tried ignoring the thought. Why was I even so pissed about that? Alex and I had only spoke to each other four time or even less.

I got in my apartment and collapsed on my couch. I had to text Matt for the information and Elle to let her know we were going to see her favourite band live for free.