XIII

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" I yelled as I ran out of the bathroom in my pair of sweatpants and Alex's t-shirt. "Why do I always have to be fucking late!" I yelled again desperately for no one to hear.

I put my messy hair in a high ponytail and grabbed a black zip-up jacket to wear on top of my lazy outfit. I then grabbed a pair of black gloves and my black coat before shoving my phone, money and keys in my pockets. I ran out of my apartment, locked and ran downstairs.

I found my car covered in thick and white snow. I threw my head in my hands and groaned, ready to cry. Today was just getting better.

I started walking in a fast pace out of the small and quiet street I lived in. It would certainly take me more time to walk to work but at least I had an excuse.

As I was walking down the busy street, a car honked at me. I turned around terrified and saw Jamie's head popping out the passenger's seat, waving at me.

"Jamie!" I exclaimed and walked towards the car which was now stopping on the right side of the road.

"Monica!" he mimicked my tone. "Yer seem in a rush, everything okay?" he asked me worried.

I bent a bit lower and saw Matt on the driver's seat. I waved at him with a smile and he replied in the same way.

"I am already late to work and my car was covered in snow and ice so I am forced to walk," I laughed and shoved my hands back in my pockets. It was freezing but that was the last thing that I cared about at the moment.

"We could give you a lift," Matt suggested and my face lit up.

"Yes!" I raised my tone. "Oh my God, I love you guys more than I love myself," I rushed and opened the car door, getting in the backseat.

Matt and Jamie laughed and looked at me through the rear-view mirror. "Just tell us where we're going," Matt started the car and drove off.

-

"There she is! The 'Mysterious Woman'!" Elle exclaimed as I entered the shop with a smile on her face.

"Hello, Elle," I laughed and took my coat off, hanging it on the hangers next to the door I had just walked through.

"Tell me everything!" she ran towards me and grabbed my arm, shaking it eagerly.

"Tell you what?" I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at her smiling at me from ear to ear, ready to be fed with the 'tea'.

"About you and Alex," she rolled her eyes.

"Nothing is going on between Alex and I," I shook my head and tried getting out of her grasp. "We were just messing around with the paparazzi."

"Then why..." her eyes fell on my t-shirt

"Oh, will you shut up," I rolled my eyes and zipped the jacket up. "I just borrwed it and forgot to give it back to him."

"So you wore it outside," she scoffed with a smile.

"Elle, I swear to God," I held my index finger up, telling her to shut up.

"Fine," she groaned, dragging the word dramatically. She let go off me and walked towards the till again, melting in her chair.

I grabbed some vinyls off the boxes we had just received and started placing them in their place carefully as yesterday's memories flew back into my head.

"You should have a listen to this album" Elle broke the silence between us and walked over to me holding a purple-ish CD.

"An Arctic Monkeys CD," I laughed. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Just have a listen! It's a great album and I forgot how much I liked it until I heard it again this morning," she handed me the CD.

The cover had Alex, Matt, Nick and Jamie photographed in an indoor space. On Matt's white hoodie, there were the words 'Arctic Monkeys' and Alex was sitting on the floor in front of him. Nick was barely visible, leaning back on a wall and Jamie looked like he was coming out of a room.

I gave in and put the cash in the till before putting the CD in my coat's pocket.

-

I unlocked the door of my apartment, threw the keys on the table next to it, shut the door behind me and groaned before collapsing on the settee. God, was I tired. I had barely had enough sleep the day before and I just wanted to sleep. But then I remembered the CD.

I got up and searched for the CD in my pocket. I took my coat off, threw it over at the armchair next to th settee and took the plastic off the new CD. I opened my player and put it in.

A familiar tune I had heard on the radio once came on and Alex's voice filled in my apartment and my ears, making me smile.

"My propeller..." I hummed along with the song as I let it play while I walked over to the kitchen.

I started making some coffee in order to wake myself up as I hummed along to the song.

Before the next song could start, my phone started buzzing in my pocket. I took it out. 'Miles'.

"Miles, hi!" I exclaimed as I ran over to the player to get the CD out before it started playing the next song.

"'Ello, darlin'," his raspy voice was heard from the other side of the line.

"Nice hearing from you again," I grabbed my coat and hung it on the hangers.

"Feeling's mutual," he chuckled. "So, are ya doing anythin' on this cold Saturday night?"

"I have work," I pressed my lips into a line and sat on my brown armchair.

"Ah," he sighed. "Can't you get the day off or summat?"

"I'll see if I can," I looked out the window. It had started snowing again. "Why?"

"I 'ave invited the lads over for a drink an' I was wondering if you'd like to come too."

"For something casual, you mean, right?" I asked, refering on the clothes I'd have to wear.

"Yes, love," he laughed, "wear whatever feels more comfortable for you."

"Alright. Text me the address and I'll let you know after I've phoned my boss."

"Alreyt, see you soon."

I hang up and took a deep breath. I knew it'd be hard to get away from Makayla, but all I had to do was pretend I was sick.

"Hey, Makayla," I swallowed a lump in my throat and started playing with the hem of Alex's t-shirt. It gave me courage.

"What do you want?" she asked full of annoyance.

"Just wanted to let you know I won't be able to make it today," I coughed realistic enough, "I'm sick."

"I'm hoping this js last time this happens," she spoke in her strict voice.

"Got it, Makayla," I spoke sarcastically and she hung up the phone, leaving me smiling at it.