XXXVIII

After having a smoke with Alex outside, I decided to head back in, leaving him outside to smoke another one.

Everyone in the booth was half-asleep. Well, Jamie and Nick were fully asleep, leaned on each other and snoring. Katie was leaned on Jamie and was talking with Breana, while Matt looked completely sober while he went through his phone.

"Mon, hey," he smiled softly as I sat next to him and leaned back into his arms. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I shrugged. "Just tired," I lied. Truth is, I was overthinking everything. About Alex, about Elle, everything.

"You're lying," he pointed out as he started stroking my hair.

"No?" I squinted my eyes and sat up.

"Did summat happen with you and Alex?" he turned off his phone and left it on the table.

"No, quite the opposite actually," I tried hiding my smile as I took a sip of my water. He raised an eyebrow in response, signalling me to keep going.

"Well, I mean," I sighed and shifted on the seat. "I really like him, but I don't know if he feels the same-" I started but he cut me off.

"Have yer told him?" he asked flatly.

"No," I simply replied and he snorted a laugh.

"Do you even want to know how much he talks about you?" he shook his head smiling and took a sip of his drink.

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at him impatiently.

"You're the only one he talks about, Mon," he sighed. "How 'Bella' stayed the night and that's why he didn't work on any new stuff, how 'Bella' helped him write a new song, how 'Bella' and him are going out for food later," he started. "Do you even want me to keep goin'?" he laughed and I probably turned bright red.

"Shut up, you're exaggerating it," I rolled my eyes and laughed, looking at my side.

"Oh, am I?" he scoffed laughing and I punched his arm lightly. "But somethin' else is also botherin' you," his face muscles softened and I nodded.

"It's Elle," I sighed and looked down on my lap. "She's acting so distant and shit," I explained. "Since she left the bar, we've barely talked -like- three times," I looked up at him. 

"Maybe she's just busy?" he tried but I shook my head.

"She's hanging out with that Rex guy," I replied and he mumbled an 'oh'. "He was the one who offered the job, they've been friends for a very long time," I explained further. "Longer than her and I have," I finished.

"Have you tried callin' or somethin'?" he asked and I nodded.

"Many times," I sighed. "And she left in such a hurry earlier," I explained. "I don't know what's wrong with her," I shook my head.

"I'm sure it's goin' to be okay, Mon," he pressed his lips into a line and opened his arms. I shifted closer to him and wrapped my arms around him, letting him hug me tightly.

"Thanks, Matt," I pulled away after some seconds and smiled warmly at him.

"Stop thankin' me," he dismissed and laughed. We quickly started talking again, laughining and drinking our almost-finished drinks. Breana and Katie soon joined us and Nick and Jamie woke up from our laughing.

"Alex!" we all exclaimed as he made his way to our booth.

"Come sit!" I patted the seat next to me and he laughed.

"You've had a few, eh?" he joked as he sat down and looked at all of us.

"No!" we all prolonged and started laughing soon after.

-

"Alexander!" I dragged out, chuckling at the end. I was absoloutely wasted, sat on my couch and swinging my legs back and forth while I waited for Alex to bring me a glass of water.

"Arabella!" he joked on the same tone as he came back with a glass of water.

"Thank you for taking care of me," I smiled weakly and wrapped my arms around his neck as he kneeled down in front of me.

"You shouldn't thank me, darlin'," he smiled and started stroking my cheek with his thumb. "I'd do anythin' for you," he hesitantly spit out and a smile found its way on my lips.

"And I'd do anything for you," I smiled tiredly and he chuckled, handing me the glass of water. I chugged it all down and layed back on the couch. He sat next to me and I fell into his embrace.

"Al?" I asked quietly after minutes of thinking.

"Mhm?" he replied tiredly.

"Have you talked to Elle lately?" I asked and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Why would I?" he replied. "I don't even have her number," he shrugged and I nodded slowly. "Why?" he asked, his voice softening.

"She's been really distant..." I explained and he raised his eyebrow. "And she left without explanation tonight," I shrugged.

"Maybe she's busy?" he suggested but I shook my head.

"She used to always have time for 'me'," I explained and felt my eyes water. "I've been through so much shit with her," a tear rolled down my cheek. 

"No, love, don't cry," his face muscles softened and he pulled me closer to his body. "Y' know I can't watch you cry, it breaks me," he whispered against my hair and I nodded, my face buried into his chest.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled and sniffled.

"Don't apologise, love, it's normal to cry," he explained, pulling away and cupping my cheeks. "I just want to see yer happy," he smiled and I nodded, giggling weakly.

"Thank you," I nodded and he smiled. 

"That's the sound I like most," he nodded, refering to my giggle and I bit my bottom lip to prevent myself from smiling a lot.