Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

~Eric

I woke up sweating bullets. My eyes shot open and I stared at the ceiling for minute, panting.

This was the third time tonight I'd woken up. Beside me, Jordan was sleeping peacefully, just as he'd been each time I'd woken up. I stared at him for a minute. It was amazing how peaceful he looked in his sleep. How unaffected by all the terrible things that had gone on in my life in just the past few short months. It wasn't like I blamed him...it was just...strange.

I sighed, wishing to God I could get up and stretch my legs. Whenever I used to have nightmares, I would always go for a long walk to clear my head.

Now, I had to settle for staring silently at the ceiling.

All of a sudden, my cell phone began vibrating on the nightstand beside me. The sound of the metal thrumming relentlessly agains the wooden surface sent Jordan shooting out of bed like a bullet.

"What? Huh?" His hands were poised in a karate motion, as if he was about to chop through a board.

Seeing him standing like that, one entire side of his hair standing up on end and his shirt halfway off his body, I burst out laughing.

"Dude, you are the idiot of idiots."

Jordan looked at me, bewildered. "Eric? What are--damn it, was that your phone?"

I snorted. "No, it was a mermaid singing to you. She wants to know when the wedding will be. See, she was thinking June, because it's when the water is warmest, but I always thought you looked better in fall colors--"

"You're so fucking funny." My friend tossed a pillow at me as he muttered a string of swears. Sighing, he climbed back into bed and reached over me to grab my phone, flipping it open before handing it to me.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I can open the phone by myself, you know. My arms still work, dumbass."

Jordan's eyes narrowed. "I hate you."

I grinned. "Good comeback."

My friend threw his hands up into the air, exasperated. I chuckled while putting the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

The line was quiet for a moment, before the voice I definetely did not expect to call me suddenly whispered back. "Eric?"

I froze. "Tamara?"

Next to me, Jordan went from trying to fall back asleep to breathing down my neck, only an inch from my ear. "What? Tamara? She called you?"

"Shut up," I snapped, holding the phone away from my ear so she didn't think I was talking to her. Bringing it back, I quickly said, "Tamara, hey. I...um, is something wrong?"

She was quiet again. Then, she murmured softly, "Are you alone?"

I glanced over at an eagerly watching Jordan, and had to bite back a sigh. "Yeah, I'm alone." At least I wish I was.

Jordan glared at me and heatedly whispered, "I heard that. Mind link, dumbass!"

I stuck my tongue out at him and thought, Maybe I wanted you to hear.

Jordan's eyes narrowed, but before he could respond, Tamara said, "Eric, I still don't remember much, but...my memory is coming back a little. Just bits and pieces. I don't really remember who you are or anything, but I do remember one thing."

I held my breath, waiting.

"Jason," she whispered.

My shoulders sagged. I felt my heart flutter in my chest and my eyes fell closed."Oh no, Rosie," I whispered softly, sinking down into my pillows until I was slumped against the bedframe. "You're having nightmares, too?"