20

Sophomore year

It was the day before my birthday and I knew Alice was planning something. With curiosity being my second nature I stumbled upon some party decorations in one of the kitchen drawers the other day. All were pink, purple, lime, light colours mostly.

There wasn't time to think and figure out the secret theme of my secret party, because Demetri woke me up bright and early for my final driver's test. Emmett took me the first time and swore on his restless soul that it was also the last time. He even had the nerve to say that I drive like a blindfolded old lady who's high on breath mints! I hit him with a traffic cone, of course.

So, the next time Demetri went with me and I guess it just remained that way. He was a lot more help than Emmett anyways. Like now, for example, he was getting annoyed by the driving instructor because I accidentally grazed a traffic cone with the tires.

Finally, the moment of glory... I was handed my driver's license! That moment I didn't care about traffic cones or parking rules or anything that I've learned.

"Yes!" I exclaimed and attacked the grouchy instructor with a hug, "Thank you Mr. Lehnsherr! Demetri look! I got my license! I got my license!" He stumbled slightly as I hugged him before continuing singing and dancing with the little card in my hands.

"She always like this?" Mr Lehnsherr grumbled and straightened his jacket.

"Yes." Demetri smiled and I couldn't quite place the soft look in his eyes when he looked at me, "She is."

I shrugged it off because the excitement was too much. Like, I got my freaking license! Now I could puppy-dog-eyes dad for my own car. Something small to start with, like a Mini Cooper, or a Volkswagen Polo, or maybe one of those electric Smart cars?

"We need to celebrate." Demetri smiled and threw his arm around my shoulders, "Where to?"

I bit my lip and faked being deep in thought, "I'm hungry. Thinking about pizza and a mango fruit shake?"

"Then what are we waiting for?" He said and held out his car keys towards me.

I stared at it in disbelief, "Really? You'd let me drive? Just remember that you have a Ferrari and I just got my license."

"Then you better not scratch it, princess." He smirked and got in the passenger seat.

We ended up at a bowling joint where I ordered myself a slice of pizza and a regular soda since they didn't have mango shakes. It always felt weird to eat while a vampire was staring at me. But that was just Edward. Demetri wasn't the creepy type of vamp that liked watching people while they sleep and stuff like that. He was casual while I ate and looked at everything except at me while also keeping the conversation going. When I finished the soda, he disposed of the tray and plastic cup before leading me to one of the bowling alleys.

"First ball's yours, princess." He handed me a blue and navy coloured ball and took a step back so I could take my shot.

I landed a perfect strike. He applauded politely and was about to sit at our table when I pulled him back.

"Where do you think you're going?" I shoved a ball in his hands, "Your turn."

He sighed and placed the ball back on its spot, "I'm a 2000-year-old vampire, love, and I have no knowledge of this game."

I rolled my eyes, "Then I'm going to teach you. Get over here and wrap your arms around me. Follow my lead."

He obeyed my commands and wrapped both his arms around me, both our hands over each other as I showed him how to hold the ball. It felt strange to have him so close. We were literally glued together and I didn't really mind it. Demetri was attractive and handsome and a gentleman and polite... I never thought of him as more than a friend. Heck, I'm turning sixteen and he's like, twenty-five! But a girl can dream, right?