36

I loved the new weight on my left hand, the way it reflected the light when I held it in just right, the way it matched all my outfits, even the new habit of waving with my left hand instead of my right.

In less than twelve hours, Demetri and I will be married, we'll leave on our honeymoon right after the wedding, we'll travel the world together and I will become a vampire, starting our forever. Alice and I've been planning this wedding for weeks now. We went on shopping trips all over Europe to find the perfect dress, the perfect shoes, and the perfect colour schemes. The guest list was the easiest part, Jamie, Mikey, Cory, the Denali's, the Egyptian Coven, the Greek Coven, Vladimir and Stefan and last but not least, the Volturi.

Choosing an overcast but rainless day, was a little harder. But the hardest decision by far was to choose a venue where the ceremony and reception would take place. I wanted it to take place in the forest at the back of our house, but I heard about Edward and Bella's forest wedding back in Forks and dropped it there. My wedding should be unique, but still formal and modest. When I called Jane one night just to chat, the news of Demetri proposing slipped out. There was no words to describe her excitement and she hinted that Volterra was a great place to tie the knot. That's where the bug bit me.

And that bite itched more and more as the days passed until I asked Demetri how he would feel if we got married right outside his home. Of course, he didn't think twice before agreeing. So, we talked to Mom and Dad, talked to Aro and they pulled a few strings here and there and voila! We will say our vows right outside the Volturi caste in the largest courtyard, while the reception will take place in the gardens. Jane renamed her room the bridal dressing room, which was where I was this very moment with my three bridesmaids, Jamie, Renesmee and Jezebel.

"Ooh, what about the blue eyeliner?" Jamie grabbed the makeup bag from Rosalie's hands and searched for the blue, "It'll make her eyes pop right out!"

Rose pursed her lips in frustration and snatched her property back, "We've been planning the makeup for three weeks, and even Grace agreed on black eyeliner with a natural smoky eye."

"Fine, but at least use bright pearl for her lips, it'll look so chill."

Rose growled under her breath, "We're using natural peach, and that's final."

Jamie's been working on Rose's nerves since I started dressing up. If she wasn't adding her own little 'touches' to her dress and jewellery, she was pestering Alice and Rose, telling them what to do and whatnot. Jamie completely removed the straps on her dress and wore her own colourful jewellery, instead of the pieces Alice chose for their dresses. I didn't say anything though since she was a hippie and her look suited her very well. Alice didn't think it was cute, though. I will have to keep the peace between a vampire and a human for the whole wedding. Not the easiest job.

"How's it going in here?" Mom asked as she entered the room, "Ten minutes till march time -" She swallowed her words when seeing me, "Oh my, Grace! You look..."

"I know." Alice smiled proudly, "She's my masterpiece and I take full credit for my work."

"Hey, I did the makeup." Rose added and took some of the credit for herself, "We're ready to go, by the way."

On cue, Dad entered the room and froze, just like mom, "Look, I've seen you look beautiful before, Grace, but today you look out of this world."

Thanks to the thin layer of foundation Rose applied to my face, no one could see my blush, "Thanks, Dad. And thanks, Rose and Alice. If it weren't for you, I would've gone out there with a braid and lip-gloss alone."

"Trust me." Renesmee smirked, "Demetri couldn't care less if you wore a paper bag. He'd be dumbstruck as always when he lays eyes on you."

Somewhere in the castle, a trumpet sounded to signal the march was about to start. Alice, Rose and Mom quickly left to find their seats in the decorated courtyard, thanks to Mom's artistic eye and Emmett and Felix's muscle. My bridesmaids lined up in front of Dad and me, Jamie first, followed by Renesmee and finally, Jezebel. We descended downstairs at a normal pace until we've reached the doors that led to the courtyard. While waiting for the march to begin, my heart was beating outside my chest, my eyes weren't focusing and my legs were shaky.

"Dad?"

He smiled down at me, "You nervous?"

"Is it that obvious?

He chuckled, "Don't worry, sweetheart. Bella was more nervous when she got married. You're fine, I got you."

I hugged his arm tighter, "If you didn't find me in the woods, and if Demetri never saw me, would you and the Volturi still have made peace?"

Dad pressed a kiss to my temple, "No. You're the reason for our two covens joining today, Grace."

The march began and my bridesmaids took their walk down the aisle. I gripped Dad's arm tighter and inhaled slowly.

"You ready?"

I nodded, "I'll always be your little girl, right? Even when you hand me over to Demetri?"

Dad smiled, "Forever, Grace."

The doors opened again and we stepped out of the castle. I let my eyes scan over the guests. Everyone was there. Everyone was dressed fancy and formal, even Mikey and Cory wore tuxedos and ties. The only person who was missing was Kit. Oh, how she would've wanted to be here right now, part of my bridesmaids in her own dress. She would've rocked the look. Don't cry now, Grace, stay strong.

Then my eyes landed on the person I couldn't wait to see. Demetri was already staring at me with wide eyes as if he never saw me in a dress before. Like he was falling in love all over again. How did I know that? Because that's exactly how I felt as Dad brought me closer and closer to him. The closer we got, the more my heartbeat accelerated, and the more I craved to just say the last 'I do'.

At the end of the aisle, Dad removed the veil and kissed me a last goodbye before handing me to Demetri. The moment his cold hand touched mine, tingles shot through my fingers straight through my arms and all the way to my toes. We turned to face the minister, but I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying at all. My mind was on Demetri, how I just wanted to be close to him, push him down the nearest flat object and kiss him deeply and passionately.

"Your vows." The Italian minister's voice drew me back.

Demetri took both my hands in his and met my eyes, "Grace Cullen, from the moment I saw you, you surprised me, you distracted me, captivated me. You challenged me in a way that no one ever has. I've fallen in love with you again and again, countless times without reservation. And I still can't believe that today I get to marry the woman I've waited so damn long for. I promise to stay true to you, support and uplift you, to frustrate and challenge you until you laugh of madness. I want to share every beautiful moment if life with you, and someday if the stars align, I might let you win an argument. No matter what trials we encounter together or how much time has passed, I know our love will never fade. That we will find strength in each other and forever grow side by side. I believe in everything we are and I will forever love you, with every beat of my once living heart."

His vow took my breath away. I always knew he had a way with words and that he could make me blush with a single hello, but damn. Please don't let me forget my vows...

"Demetri Volturi." I smiled up at him, "I promise to always love you, even when you make me mad. I promise to always respect you, even when I disagree with you. To respect the decisions you make, to never go to bed angry, to communicate with you and to never shut you out. I will stand by you through every stage of life, whether it's good or bad, whether we're laughing or crying, whether we're with family or friends, or when it's just you and me. I promise to never leave you, your home will be my home and your bed will be my bed. I vow to be your wife, your partner, your lover and your best friend. Until I breathe my last breath and so much longer beyond that. Forever. I love you."

"I now declare you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Demetri pulled me closer and his eyes glanced down to my lips and back to my eyes. His hand brushed away a strand of loose hair behind my ear and leaned in. The moment our lips met to seal our promises to each other, the guests jumped up and applauded loudly. Looking down at our hands I smiled at the rings. We're finally married. Twenty years and we're finally married, together forever. It was worth the wait.