37

Our plans didn't go as expected and we couldn't leave the same night on our honeymoon. I didn't mind that much, but Demetri was frustrated. Some of the guests didn't leave early and we had to party on just to be polite.

A little past midnight, Demetri was growling and it took a lot of gentle words to convince him that I'm not in a hurry (lie) and that I'm too tired anyway to board a flight (another lie). What else could I do and say to make him feel better? I knew he couldn't wait to have me for himself, to be just the two of us without the rest of the family nearby. Trust me, I couldn't wait to be alone with him either. Just a few more hours...

"I planned this for how long?" Demetri ranted in his large room as I closed the door behind us, "Three to four weeks? And now we're late!"

I peeked out of the window to see how many guests were still outside. The Denali's were still socializing with Mom and Dad and the Egyptians were helping themselves to the blood bar. That was Renesmee's little idea to have a bar that served both human and vampire drinks, with a bartender to serve the right drink to the right guest. She also had little code words for the vampiric drinks like 'bloodbath', or 'cherry lips', 'crimson curse' and 'haemoglobin boosters'. We didn't worry much about the food though. It was a buffet dinner and all human guests were Jamie, Mikey, Cory, Jezebel, Luke, little Carmine and Jake. Mom told everyone before the wedding that no matter what happens, every vampire should dish up a plate of food and do with it whatever they please, just to make it look like they're eating and don't rise suspicion under my human friends.

"Grace? Have you been listening to what I'm saying?" Demetri's voice drew me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry, no. I've zoned out again. Sorry."

He sighed and managed a smile, "No, I apologize for ranting about things that don't matter. Staying a few hours won't make a difference." He placed a kiss on my head and a quick one on my lips. I tried pulling him back to give him a proper kiss, but he smirked and shook his head, "If I kiss you now, I won't be able to hold back any longer, princess. That kind of fun should wait until we're alone."

I rolled my eyes, "You're killing me over here! Fine, but while you're getting me a piece of that cake we cut earlier, I'm going to make sure I've packed everything. Which will be so hard because you never told me where we're going."

"Just pack something of everything." He smiled and left the room to get me the said cake.

"Why are you speaking in riddles?" I sighed and knew he could hear me.

I remembered Bella telling me to not, under any circumstances, let Alice near my luggage. She told me all about her honeymoon with Edward where she had nothing to wear except for lingerie, which Alice packed of course. But that pixie was sneaky. I zipped open the first bag to check the contents and felt satisfied when seeing normal clothes. However, the second bag wasn't the way I left it. Small, lacy clothing pieces were stuffed in between my hoodies and jeans, all Victoria's Secret. At least she didn't unpack anything, so I could just remove the pieces. But taking another look at them I considered keeping two or three outfits, just to surprise Demetri later on... Maybe the blue, black and silver pieces for sneak peeks? Oh, and definitely the nurse costume for bonus features.

The door opened and Demetri sped over to me in a blur, "Party's over, time to leave."

"Finally!" I cheered and grabbed my handbag and backpack.

Demetri took the rest of my bags down and loaded then into his Ferrari's backseat. All the guests crowed around us to bid their farewells, except for Vladimir and Stefan, who left early.

"Good luck with Demetri." Alec chuckled as I hugged him first of the Volturi, "Don't be freaked out if he breaks the bed the first time. He's never been the gentle kind when it comes to messing around."

I blushed deep red, "Oh? I'll remember that, thank you, Alec."

"Don't worry, kiddo." Felix smirked, "Where you're going there are plenty of spare beds. Break one and move on, just don't hold back."

"Where on earth did your thoughts go?" I smiled nervously and said the rest of the goodbyes rather quickly.

Saying goodbye to my family took a little longer. Alice told me to take pictures of everything, Jamie wanted a souvenir of whatever screams hippie, Mom packed me a snack for the road and Emmett didn't want to let go with the huge bear hug.

"Have fun!" Dad called behind us as Demetri started the car.

"And if Grace comes home pregnant I'll break and burn the cause of it!" Emmett added. I chuckled as Demetri frowned and drove on, not even answering that threat.

After a few minutes of driving, we reached the Volturi's private jet that they left for us. We barely boarded before it took off into the air. The feeling reminded me of the vacation when Kit was still alive. Everything seemed to remind me of her, flying, dancing, laughing. She was stuck in my thoughts and I felt like imprisoning her soul against her will. It was wrong to mourn her since she's obviously in a better place. But I guess grief is the last act of love we can give to those we loved. Where there's deep grief there was great love, and I loved Kit with my whole heart. She was my best friend, a sister by choice.

I snuggled up to Demetri and watched the dark clouds float past the tiny window. Emmett's last words also bugged me. Why didn't he want me to come back pregnant? I get that Bella almost died when giving birth to Renesmee, but wouldn't Dad have figured out a way to let humans give birth to hybrids by now? I mean, children would be nice, especially if they were Demetri's.

He was reading and concentrating on the pages while I secretly studied him. He had strong, manly features, certainly not boyish. He was responsible, caring and had a strong sense for what's right and wrong. He'd be a great father in my opinion. And when I looked at the pictures Alice showed me of him holding me when I was a baby, I'd say he looked incredibly attractive with a baby in his arms. I could only picture him being overprotective with a baby girl, scaring off boys as she grows older and finally threatening her date while she's getting ready for prom. Or Demetri being the proud father of a boy that had his looks, teaching him how to flirt in Italian, taking him on tracking expeditions on family nights, and wrestling with him in the backyard of our house...

Damn, I wanted to start a family. I didn't care whether it's a boy or girl, or both, but I wanted a baby with Demetri. But I knew he'd never agree. He knew what happened to Bella and I knew that he'd rather jump in a pit of flames before seeing me end up like that. Vampires can't live without their mates, and if Edward didn't inject Bella with his venom the very moment Renesmee was born, she would've died and he'd end up like Marcus. I didn't, no, I couldn't do that to Demetri.

But what if it was possible? What if I could become pregnant and be changed the day before giving birth? Surly Dad would have written down how long it took Bella to give birth? It was a battle between my heart and my head. My heart wanted children, my head didn't want anybody getting hurt. Then I remembered that I haven't talked to Demetri about it, yet. Maybe he did want children and was thinking the same as I; that he didn't want to hurt anyone?

I felt him shift next to me and slipped his arm around my shoulders. He must have heard my heartbeat slowing down and switched off the light.

"Get some rest, love." He whispered and pressed a kiss on my head, "We have a big day tomorrow."

Yes, we did. I had to ask him about the very thing that was bugging my thoughts.