Chapter 4

"So, you're at first going to pretend to be mad at him, then pretend to secretly like-like him. Then you've got to kiss him," Grace told me, as my head found all hard to take in. Not alone was I supposed to stay in this stupid glass window thing for twelve whole hours, with a guy that most likely wanted me dead for announcing to the entire school that he basically had haemorrhoids, but now we were supposed to act out a weird little play thing, in which neither of us knew what the other was supposed to do. Moreover, people called this entertainment? The council have lost their minds.

"Grace, this is stupid and crazy and I don't know how many other things-" I started for what must've been the six hundredth time, but once again she interrupted me.

"For one, it's not up to me to change it, you know that. And two, we need to raise a lot more money or else Jones will be on our backs for the rest of the year." Both these facts I knew to be true, but I still wasn't going to do this without a fight. Stupid student council, stupid Jones, stupid hot guy I have to pretend to like, who in actuality I'd been trying to avoid because I secretly adored him. Ugh! Why does whatever deity that's out there just love making my life miserable?

"And this is supposed to raise bucket loads of money?" I asked her once again, just trying to think of ways to get out of this. I kept coming up blank. I currently felt like Macbeth, as he faced down Macduff, knowing he was destined to die. I wish there was some kind of book on how to avoid complete and utter mortification, because I seriously needed to read it, and fast.

"Well, people do love reality TV, take a look at Big Brother for example."

I had just found another reason to hate that show.

"Why the hell do I have to do all that stuff as well?" It was going to be bad enough to have to endure the twelve hours on edge with him, why did I have to kiss him on top of that? This was supposed to be school; they didn't condone public displays of affection. Like ever.

"That's what the female student body voted that you do. For an extra donation, they could suggest things you had to do while you were in there. Those were some of the nicer choices actually."

"How on earth does it get much worse than me kissing him?" I almost shouted. Seriously, what happened to making me do the chicken dance, or standing on my head or something?

"Don't ask me Hun, I didn't make up the rules."

"I'd love to meet who did, so I could give them a piece of my mind," I pouted, flopping down on the teacher's chair in the derelict classroom both Grace and I were currently occupying. The only benefit of the day so far was being able to hang out here until the big event. I think this probably was my favourite classroom, for three simple reasons; one, it was where my favourite teacher, Mr. Smith, taught us chemistry every day. Two, because it was on the second floor, and literally had a wall of glass on the entire left side of the classroom, you got a fantastic view of the surrounding area, which was great for spying on Aaron, not so good for my studies though. And now, my newly found third reason, this teachers chair was damn comfortable.

"I know, I was petrified it'd be me they picked. You looked so calm when you walked out on the podium, I couldn't believe it. But then you're always good at these things, so confident. Damn it, what are you not good at? Besides French of course," she said with a grin while I still found it difficult to process her words. She thought I was good at everything? How further could she be from the truth? But it was still nice to hear all the same. Who doesn't like an ego boost every now and then? Even if it was undeserved.