Chapter 15

I turned and locked the door behind me, before turning around to face the now darkened hallway. Knowing I was finally alone, I started punching the air like an idiot before breaking into dance like a complete and utter moron, but at this stage I didn't actually care. Aaron liked me, Aaron really liked me! He wanted to hang out with me and kiss me and I didn't know what else. That thought alone would have me almost screaming like a little girl, if it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably wake up everyone in the house. And that would not be one of my brighter ideas.

Man was he a good kisser. I still had tingles on my lips and my fingertips because of the past however long we spent making out. Even just thinking about it sent a blush to my cheeks. I was pretty sure this was the first time I'd felt like this, but I definitely wanted to made sure it wasn't going to be my last. It was bloody fantastic.

Suddenly, the lights in the hallway flickered on, blinding me for a few seconds, before I was confronted with my father standing before me with his arms folded. Damn.

"Where have you been for the past two hours?" He asked testily as I tried to scramble for an excuse. Saying I was busy making out with Aaron Hartmann would practically be a death sentence right now.

"I was out walking. I had a lot on my mind," I explained, focusing on my father's chin to ensure that he couldn't see how guilty I actually felt. Looking away right now would only make my father ten times more suspicious. I supposed what I'd said was partially true, I mean did have stuff on my mind, it just wasn't exactly what my dad would assume it was.

We were out there for almost two hours? Really? Glancing at the ancient wooden clock my Grandma had given to my father and mother when they got married all those years ago, my father was proven correct. Damn, I never thought I'd dislike that clock ever, but apparently I was wrong. I often thought that said clock was some sort of message my Gran was sending to my parents - that it was only a matter of time before reality would bite in their marriage or something along those lines and that they'd divorce or something - but that was just my own personal opinion. My Gran was big into subliminal messages like that.

"Then why were you happy dancing?" He asked skeptically. He saw that? Aw man! Why do you do this to me, whatever deity that exists wherever they live, why? This was so not fair!

"I managed to make a decent snow angel in the park?" I volunteered, trying to put enough embarrassment into my tone to make it sound more believable. He retained his stony glare for a few more seconds before looking down and shaking his head. Phew, that was a close one. In my family, you knew when an argument has been lost or won when the 'loser' looked away or broke eye contact. Weird I know, but it was true. I had won, for now anyway.

"Why did I end up with such a strange daughter?" He asked, looking up towards the ceiling as he did so.

"Hey! You know you just can't cope with my brilliance." I retorted as I jutted out my chin and crossed my arms.

"Oh yeah, it's definitely something like that." He said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, dear father." I reminded him with a slightly smug grin. I liked it when my dad was like this - all happy and joking around with me. I hadn't seen much of it recently, and I could safely say that I missed it. A lot. My mother didn't just remove herself and her stuff when she left us all those months ago, she took a bit of my dad with her too, unfortunately.

"And the highest form of intelligence, dear daughter." He grinned back, reminding me that I really did need to stop thinking so negatively about everything. It wasn't going to do me or anyone else any good.