Chapter 21

The next few days passed in a blissful blur, with my time being taken up by thoughts of Aaron if the real deal wasn't actually messaging me or standing before me in the actual flesh. If it were possible to die from butterflies and giddy feelings, I'd have been in the ICU at this stage I'd reckon.

But too soon winter break was over and as I walked into school the first day, my brows furrowed when I saw Matt leaning on the hood of his car, looking down at his shoes, reflecting to himself. He said nothing as I approached him, his gaze never shifting from the ground, which worried me a little. I could never sneak up on Matt, he was always far too aware of his surroundings, but right now he seemed completely lost in his own thoughts. Out of our group, Matt was the least likely to dwell on anything, and seeing him like this made a sense of dread build within the pit of my stomach.

"Hey Matt, how're you?" I asked, after coming to a stop beside him, my tone implying that not only did I wonder about how he was doing, I also wanted to know why on earth he was sitting on his own car before school, and not going to hand in some extra assignment he'd done, or go hang out with his girlfriend or do some other thing that the student council president normally did before school.

"Tara, you need to tell Grace about you and Aaron." He said bluntly, causing my eyebrows to shoot up into my hairline. 

"What, why?" I asked, trying to gather my bearings as I did so. I didn't expect to be having this conversation with Matt, of all people, so early in the morning. This was something that needed to be preempted with at least one strong cup of coffee, something which I'd not yet had much to my misfortune.

"She was talking to Sarah yesterday and started asking questions about you two, and then she decided to interrogate me. She's getting suspicious Tara, and you know what she's like if she finds out people have been keeping secrets from her." He told me, giving me a look that told me he was utterly serious.

"But she'll hate me!" I protested.

"She'll hate you more the longer you keep it from her." He pointed out, forcing my next protest to die on my lips. I knew he was right about that, but I was still terrified of telling her. While I hated to admit it to anyone, I just couldn't stand the thought of her hating me. Stupid and all as it sounded, I couldn't cope with hate in general, it was always something that just got to me.

"But then I'll have to tell my parents too." I realized, a different type of dread now filling me, while Matt just scoffed.

"Puh-lease, your Dad will get over it when he sees you're happy, and do you really think Angela is going to make a fuss over you finally getting a boyfriend. Assuming you even care what she thinks."

"I'm sorry Matt, it's just..." I trailed off, not knowing what else to say. I knew what I had to do, but I just couldn't seem to find it within myself to do it. Such was my life, I supposed.

"It's fine, just don't be getting Sarah involved with Grace again. She upset her enough the last time." He told me, looking straight into my eyes as he did so, before he ran a hand through his hair and checked his watch.

"Grace isn't that bad." I told him, feeling guilty about not sticking up for her more often. As I'd previously said, I was a terrible friend.

"She was to Sarah. Look I said I'd tip you off. It will be easier on everyone if you tell her, and soon."

"Yeah, okay, I will. Thanks Matt." I then said, before turning and walking to the front door of our school. Matt soon caught up with me, the austere look replaced by one of humour.

"How are you two fuck buddies doing anyway?" He then asked, causing my jaw to drop in shock as the full extent of what he'd just said had sunk in.