Chapter 6

"Woah now take it back a few paces here, you've got no Mom?" I asked, as I back peddled rapidly. How on earth did I not know about this? Some great stalker I was, and I didn't even know about his family. Or lack of one member, should I say.

"No kidding Sherlock," he said sarcastically, with a bitter smile. The bitter smile was one I hadn't really seen much of before, but was certainly not one of my favourite looks of his, especially when it was directed at me.

"I do try." I replied, my voice mimicking his. "But seriously, what do you mean when you say you have no mother? Everyone has some sort of mom. How else can you enter this world, unless there's some real advanced technology out there that I don't know about."

"Obviously I have a biological mother, she just abandoned me shortly after I was born."

"So you're adopted. Don't you have an adoptive mother?"

"More like I've got two dads. Don't get me wrong, they're great and all, but I still get kinda annoyed at the thought of not really having what everyone should have, whether she was good or bad. I have no idea."

"Oh." What the hell do you say after a thing like that? And he came out with it so calmly, as if he'd just mentioned he was heading to the shop to get groceries. But the way his hands clenched one another told me it was far from okay with him.

"Oh indeed."

"But can you try and contact her? Surely you can talk to your dads about it, right?"

"It upsets them any time I mention it, so I just try and avoid it now. It's easier."

"I get that. Anything for an easy life at home, hey?"

He rubbed the back of his neck as if he found it difficult to word what he was planning to say next. I was trying not to openly check him out as his muscles flexed in the process. He had the balance exactly right in my opinion, not too muscled, but he didn't look like my cousin Larry either. A twig would have more muscle mass than my cousin Larry, probably due to the fact that he couldn't be further than ten feet away from technology at all times and practically repelled sunlight. I then asked myself why I was thinking about Larry when I had a Greek god gracing my presence. Well, I was more forced onto his presence, but I was not complaining.

"It's not even that, it just feels like I let them down anytime I mention it, as if I'm saying what they're doing isn't good enough, which is definitely not the case. " He paused, as if he wanted to say more, but then flicked his eyes to the glass window, where there were currently a group of girls giggling and waving at Aaron. Sighing, he smiled and waved to them, causing them to start sending him flirty waves and acting coyly.

"Thank God this room is soundproof." Aaron told me, causing me to burst into a fit of laughter, which was probably the last noise he wanted to hear now that I thought of it. He had a point though, the fact that this place was soundproofed definitely helped the situation. I did not need my eardrums bleeding due to the fact that Aaron Hartmann was undeniably good-looking.

"Doesn't this place feel a bit like earth, as in currently we're alright, but if we stepped outside there we'd be met with almost inhospitable conditions?" I asked him, swinging my legs back and forth as I looked at the white room we were in, with one wall completely covered in glass. Other than the two chairs we were sitting on, the room was completely empty, save a few demolished microphones.

"Now that you mention it, it actually kinda does. I probably would have used a fishbowl metaphor. Though I suppose that's not really the right word for it either."

"That is probably a better comparison, what with them being able to see in and all." I finished, as a silence decended on us for about thirty seconds.