Chapter 5

Aaron Hartmann was a complete and utter jackass. A really cute jackass, with amazing back muscles now that I thought of it, but a jackass never the less. Right before I thought he was going to kiss me, he turned and walked to the other end of the room, making me look like a complete and utter moron. He was literally inches from my face, looking directly into my eyes, making me unsure of what to do, apart from try not to hyperventilate. And then he walked away. Talk about an anti-climax.

I shouldn't have been surprised, I supposed, but I was. I really did think he was going to kiss me, ridiculous and all as that sounded. It must've been something to do with the fact that I turned into a complete and utter idiot anytime he was close. When they invent a cure for stupidity, I was going to have to buy it by the bucket load. Scratch that, I'd buy the entire factory. Maybe then I just might be able to survive a day without embarrassing myself, but even then I severely doubted it.

He had stood at the other end of the white blank space, with his back to me and the dwindling crowd, for the past five minutes, silence engulfing the both of us. To say things were a little awkward right now was the biggest understatement of my life. Awkward was a dent in the front bumper compared to the car crash we were currently in. And I was not at all good at salvaging wreckage from the depths of awkward and was more likely to rock back and forth on my heels and suffer on through it. But God loved a trier, right?

"Did you know, during the winter ten per cent of accident and emergency admittances are because of people burning themselves with hot water bottles?"

He turned and gave me a look that proved he thought I was crazy. Oh well, it beat the tension of a minute ago. Sorta.

"What?"

"Yup, it puzzles me too, why not use a really cosy blanket and save yourself all the trouble?" I said, deciding to just continue on with my random fact, despite knowing that he had no interest in hearing it whatsoever, because let's face it, Aaron didn't exactly look like the type that would cuddle up to anything really. But you know, I could be wrong. I doubted it though.

"I kind of meant more along the line of; why on earth are you telling me this?" His what-the fudge face was clearly in place, telling me he meant business. Yes I named all his facial expressions, I'd realised I needed to actually get a life months ago.

"Well, why not?"

"Because it's simply useless information."

"It served its purpose, therefore I wouldn't think it was useless." I told him honestly, and I was right. For once I was completely and utterly right and Aaron was wrong. That fact almost made me giddy.

"Oh, and what purpose was that?"

"It got you talking again, didn't it?" It wasn't as if I needed to hear that beautiful melody also known as his voice. Not at all. He cocked his head to the side, before smiling at me.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again; you're different Somers, but I have to say I like it."

I was so not happy dancing inside my head at that.

"So Aaron Hartmann," I said, hoisting myself onto one of the stools that had been so nicely provided for us. "Since we have so much time to kill, tell me something I don't know. About you." I clarified. I did not need to know how many spots appeared in Disney's "101 Dalmatians" right now.

"Only if you tell first."

"Sounds fair enough. My favourite subject is Science, more specifically Chemistry, but I also have a soft spot for the English language, despite the fact that I'm rather mediocre at it. I have one brother who is fifteen going on twenty-five and my favourite number is nine." I finished, before looking over at him and gesturing with my hand for him to elaborate about himself.