Chapter 18

At around six Aaron drove up my street in his red car before pulling to a stop a couple houses down from mine.  I thought it was safer not to be seen together in public, at least for now anyway.  We'd spent the last couple of hours just fooling around slash making out and I was currently giddy with happiness as a result.    

"Thanks," I said, as I turned towards him as soon as he'd cut the engine.

"For what?" He asked, turning his head a little so he could look down at me. I was appreciating the new angle as he leaned a little closer to me, probably a little too much to be considered healthy to be honest. Was there any angle he didn't look good from? I doubted it somehow.

"For not freaking out and telling me to get lost. I mean, we've really only being hanging out for what? A little over two weeks? And then I had to go and act all weird and stuff." I explained, waving my hand as if to further emphasise my point.

"I didn't think you were acting all that bad. Sure, not exactly normal, but it's not like that's too out of the ordinary," he teased, while I just gave him a slightly unimpressed look as I tried not to smile.              

"Still, thank you."

         "Any time." He told me, his dark hair covering his face slightly. I brushed it back before quickly leaning over and giving him a peck before I lost my nerve. He caught my chin as I was about to pull away and held me there for a second as my thoughts turned to jelly, before he kissed me again, this time a little gentler than he had earlier, but it still had enough power to send a slight tingle through me. I doubted could get used to this feeling. But I was really looking forward to finding out.

         "Well, I'll see you New Year's then?"  I half-asked, as I pulled the handle and stepped out of his warm car, the blast of cold wind causing me to stiffen a little.

         "You sure will. And Tara?"  He asked, as I was about to shut the door.

         "Yes?"

         "I think you forgot this." He told me, handing the phone which must've fallen out of my pocket over to me.  "How would you survive if I wasn't able to text you pick up lines at three in the morning?"

         "More like how would you survive if I didn't entertain your nonsense at three in the morning, I think."

         "Aw, that really hurt my feelings."

         "Oh, shall I bring out the violins, my poor little Aaron?" I asked, miming playing the violin. A really small violin might I add.

         "You're mean. I thought girls were supposed to be like, all sympathetic and shit."

         "Well, I'm really not your average girl, in case you haven't noticed." I told him, despite the little voice inside my head that was calling my a complete and utter liar because I was exactly like a lot of girls, only possibly a lot more pathetic.  

         "True. Try not to miss me too much now Sweetheart." He told me, while I just rolled my eyes, silently thrilled that he'd taken to calling me 'Sweetheart'.  Normally I wasn't one for pet names, but I didn't mind that.

After waving goodbye to Aaron, I got out of the car and meandered my way up to the door of my house, feeling on cloud nine.  I sent a quick text to Sarah telling her that I was now heading home and that I'd talk later. As I stepped in the door and shrugged off my coat, my internal bliss was shattered by someone squealing out my name before engulfing me into a hug.

         "Surprise! Bet you weren't expecting me!" She said, as I was paralysed with shock.

         "Grace..." I said, once the shock had begun to wear off and panic had started to set in. Had she seen me? How was she even here?