CHAPTER THIRTEEN: STUDY SESSION PART ONE

"Hey," Trent whispers. "Hey, Lacie."

     "What?" I whisper back.

     "I'm bored."

     I smile, but quickly shake it away. "It's only been twenty minutes—"

     "Exactly, twenty minutes too long."

     "Twenty-minutes." I hold my finger up. "Since the last time you said that."

     He just groans and dramatically flops down against the grey fuzzy blanket beneath us.

     My shoulders shake a little in silent laughter as I attempt to ignore his theatrics, like I always do, but it's hard. "It will be fun," they said, and by they, I mean, Trent. "I won't distract you," he promised. "Pretty please." His eyes sparkled in the sunlight as he pouted at me. I blame that pout. It will be the death of my education thus far in my college career. All my grades are about to be flushed down the toilet all because of that pout. I can't say no to it, or any of Trent and I's study sessions on the floor of his dorm room.

     "I—" Trent starts as he splays a hand across his chest. "I can't breathe. I think—" He shifts to look back at me with his head laying on his other arm all sprawled out. "I think I need CPR."

     "Nice try." I smile before glancing back down at my laptop. It's only then I realize just how tired and dry my eyes are as I blink them a few times.

     "Fine." He sighs—more theatrics, which will also be the death of me. He sits back up. "How about a cuddle break—doctor's orders."

     "Gah, no." I flinch away from him with a laugh. I quickly save the lap-write up on my laptop before glancing up to come face to face with that damn pout of his. Curse those lips and those eyes and that pout. "Fine." I hold my hand up to shield his smile. "To the break."

     "Boo." His shoulders slump again, making me laugh.

     "Come' on." I laugh. "How about . . ." I close my laptop and slide it next to my backpack before pushing both things higher up on the blanket so I can lay down. "Let's play a game. Two truths and a lie—go."

     He chuckles a little as he lays down on the other side of me. "Okay. Let's see." He hums and taps his fingers against his stomach as he thinks. He lifts his hand slightly, counting with his fingers. "I have a dog, I'm a physical education major—"

     "Really?" I whine.

     He turns his head. "What?"

     "That's so easy!"

     "But you didn't even let me finish."

     "Because you made it so obvious. Go again."

     "Fine." He laughs. "I have a dog—"

     "Trent!"

     "Wait, I'm being serious." Even though the vibrations from his chest continue to tell me otherwise. "I have a dog, I'm five foot eight, and I'm afraid of heights."

     "Ooh, okay." I rub my fingers over the blanket, turning it dark grey, then light grey again. "Mm, I don't know. I mean, you're tall but are you, like, that tall."

    Trent emits something between a gasp and a grunt. "I'm not that short."

     "I know. It's not a bad thing."

     He passes me another glance.

     "I swear, I like your height. I just know for sure Zack's taller than you, and I think Stephanie may be taller than you, and Savannah's definitely taller than you, too."