Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Stephanie spins in our black desk chair as her hand consistently taps against the desk, propelling the chair to move faster with each spin. My phone lights up in front of me and seeing Red Velvet flash across the screen I pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Who is this?" An unfamiliar, yet seemingly condescending voice asks making my eyebrows furrow.

"Who is this?"

There's some mumbling before it seems like the phone is grabbed by someone else.

"Why is your contact saved as vanilla? Are you really that sweet?" Laughter bursts through the phone and my body instantly goes rigid.

"Oh, oh wait I got one," a faint voice says before someone clears their throat. "If you're vanilla, why don't we mix together and make a hot fudge sundae?" I gulp not liking were this is going and not sure what to say.

"Oh! And maybe we can do some banana splits!" Someone adds in the background and they all laugh again, but it's muffled by the person holding the phone.

Then all of a sudden all the noise stops. There's some incoherent mumbling and the line rustles a bit before there's a loud snap. I pull back thinking they ended the call, but still seeing the minutes I bring the phone back to my ear.

"Lacie?" Trent's voice rings through the phone and I let out a relieved breath.

"Yeah?"

"God," he breathes, "I'm so sorry that was just the guys being freaking assholes." He yells the last part and I hear them snicker in response.

I let out a laugh myself, but it sounds just as uncomfortable as I feel. "It's okay..." I pick a piece of lint off my comforter. "Are you—?"

"I'm sorry, but I have to go." Trent rushes out, cutting me off. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay," I reply warily, but then pull the phone back and watch as the call ends. "Weird."

"What?" Steph asks bringing her hands up to her temples now that she has stopped spinning. I stare down at my phone still a little baffled.

"I think I just got a prank call from some of Trent's friends."

Stephanie waves her hand. "They were probably just messing with him about having a girlfriend."

"But we haven't—"

"Made it official yet — yeah yeah," Stephanie waves me off before tilting her head up towards the ceiling and groaning. "God, I don't want to go to class. I'm going to fall asleep." I let out a laugh stretching my legs out across my bed.

"You made all your classes in the afternoon, though."

"I know," she sighs looking straight ahead again. "But that doesn't make them any less annoying." I shake my head at her and glance down at my phone, checking the time.

"Oh crap, you better go before you're late."

"Ugh," she groans pushing up from the desk chair and slinging her backpack over her shoulder. She sighs before looking over at me. "Where would I be without you?"

"Late," I reply and she sticks her tongue out at me before trudging out of the room. I glance over at my half open backpack on the floor and then at my phone.

Homework, or aimlessly scrolling through instagram textpost accounts?

Being the procrastinating person I am, I pick up my phone and flop back down on my bed.