Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"Would you stop pacing? You're creating a draft." Stephanie waves her hand in the air and I stop mid stride, but the need for movement has me fidgeting with my hands.

God, why did I agree to this? My relationship with Trent has developed into something pretty platonic up until now. Well, that is except for some occasional flirting. Or was it flirting? I'm not really sure.

"Earth to Lacie!" Stephanie's voice screams past my thoughts and I turn my attention back over to her.

"What?"

She flicks her curly hair over her shoulder before slumping back against the wall beside her bed, right under the window. "Would you stop being so nervous? You've known this guy from months now. We've already established he's not a psychopath... well," She brings a finger up to her lip, "I guess he could turn into a psychopath."

"Steph!"

"What?" She shrugs as if shrugging away her thoughts before flickering her gaze back up to me. "I'm just saying college guys can be unpredictable."

"Oh god," I groan and return to pacing as nerves continue to churn around inside my stomach.

"Okay, okay." Stephanie gets up off her bed, walks right over to me, and plants her hands on my shoulders. Not only stopping me from walking, but also forcing me to meet her clear blue gaze. "Repeat after me: Trent is not a psychopath."

"Trent is not a psychopath," I repeat with a nod of my head.

"He is just a guy."

I inhale slowly, "He is just a guy."

"Everything is going to be fine."

I nod again, willing myself to believe the words. "Everything is going to be fine."

"And I like him."

"And I like him." I finish before my mouth drops open. "Wait—what? No, I don't!"

Stephanie barks out a laugh as her arms fall back down to her sides."Whatever you say." She sighs before slowly pivoting on her heel.

"I don't," I say firmly, but she just flops back down on her bed and picks up her cell phone.

"Yeah, yeah."

I open my mouth to protest further, but then my phone beeps. I pick it up off my bed and see it's a text from Trent saying he's outside the dorm building. Crap.

I turn towards the wall and assess myself in the mirror one more time. I run a hand through my hair glad that it looks like its semi-straight, semi-wavy self. I have on the green sweater Stephanie told me to wear, claiming it brought out my eyes, dark jeans, and my combat boots.  I added just a touch of mascara and some lips gloss seeing as I didn't feel the need to try too hard because it's just Trent.

I just need to keep reminding myself of that small fact because it's true. It's just Trent.

Nodding to myself, I turn around and grab my black peacoat off my bed. I throw it on before stuffing my cell phone in my back pocket and heading towards the door.

"Okay, well, wish me luck."

"Good luck!" Stephanie calls back just as I close the door behind me.

I make my way down the hallway and down the steps. I push open the door and am met with a gust of cool wind while Trent remains standing a few feet away tapping away on his cell phone.

I stand there for a second and contemplate turning around and heading back inside, but just when I'm about to a few girls come up behind me laughing as they exit the building, causing Trent's head to snap up. A smile quickly graces his lips as he spots me and pockets his cell phone. The wind sways the blond spike at the top of his head as he begins making his way towards me. His unzipped jacket flaps against his black sweater covered chest and instead of his usual sweatpants, or basketball shorts he's actually wearing a pair of jeans.