Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Monday mornings are the worst.

Especially when your alarm clock doesn't go off, leaving you without a morning run, a completely disheveled appearance, and an overall terrible start to the day.

So here I am, at seven fifty-five in the morning, nearly sprinting to philosophy. My hair is thrown up in a damp messy bun due to a quick shower and I threw on the grey sweatshirt I left hanging on the back of our desk chair with the first pair of jeans I could find.

Then, just as I'm nearing the building, the sky rumbles and a second later I'm being pelted by cool rain drops. Not thinking, I use my notebook to cover my head and quickly run up the steps of the building. Throwing open the door, I quickly walk down the hallway, and my the obnoxious squeaking of my sneakers echoes across the floor. I reach the philosophy room and after taking in a deep breath, I slowly push open the door. Please don't notice, please don't notice.

"Vanilla!" Trent calls out and just like that everyone's head whips in my direction. Now all of them are first hand witnesses to my rain splattered, windswept appearance. Oblivious to the attention, Trent pats the desk next to him and I have no doubt that my whole face is a bright shade of red as I quickly duck my head and make my way over to the seat. Once seated, I bury my head in my arms and hear a low chuckle escape from beside me before hearing the creak of Trent's seat as he leans over. "Bad morning?"

I turn to him, searing him with my blatant discomfort. "You think?"

This only makes him chuckle again and he leans back in his chair just as Professor Collins walks into the room surprisingly looking worse than I do.

"Hello everyone, sorry I'm late. This rain was... unexpected." He shakes out his umbrella before deciding to just toss it beside his desk along with his briefcase. "Anyway," he rubs his hands together, "let's begin."

****

After a good forty five minutes of trying everything in my power to concentrate, Trent leans over.

"What is that?" He asks scrunching his face up and I do the same only mines in confusion.

"What?" He continues to sniff the air and my face only seems to contort further. He leans closer towards me and I find myself leaning away, wary as to what smell he might be associating with me. With his head still hovering in the air beside me, he sniffs again before nodding to himself.

"Mm, you smell good," he slowly leans back in his chair, "like vanilla, true to your nickname..." He looks back down at his notebook and picks up his pen, now almost whispering to himself. "I like vanilla." I stare at him for a second longer before looking back down at my own notebook unsure of how to respond.

A few minutes later, Professor Collins dismisses us, leaving me to nearly sprint out of the room, but just as I take one step out of the building I'm reminded of the rain as it pitter-patters against the stone steps. Everyone begins to open their umbrellas and pull up the hoods of their rain coats while I internally groan. Am I the only one who didn't know it was going to rain?

Then a black umbrella opens over my head and I look over only to see that Trent is the holder of it.

"You looked like you needed it," He says and I bring a hand up to my chest, clutching my soggy notebook.

"My hero," I sigh dramatically and he chuckles before we walk down the stone steps together. I go to walk across the lawn, but the second my sneaker sinks into the mud I step back. "You know what? I'm just going to run." I turn my face towards the right pathway preparing to run back to my dorm.