Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I slam down the trunk of my car and my breath comes out in a white cloud in front of me.

"Are you sure you don't need a ride?" Trent calls from two cars over and I shake my head.

"No thanks, I'm good. Plus, I think your cars already full." I nod my head towards Zack as he slides across the hood of Trent's car.

"All right, Peas, but you're missing out!" When Zack makes it to the passenger side door, he turns and points a finger at me. "Trent and I always have the best road trips."

I nod and find my eyebrows going up in amusement. "I'm sure you do."

"Hey, where's Stephanie?" Zack chooses to ignore my comment as Trent closes the trunk of his car.

"She already left with Savannah," I say walking over to the driver's side of my car.

"Aw, man, I was going to use this mistletoe on her." He pulls mistletoe out of his pocket and I shake my head laughing. If anyone's going to have mistletoe in their pocket, it would be Zack. I open the driver's side door, put my key in the ignition, and start my car. "Alright, well, I'll see you next year Peas!" Zack gives me a salute before hopping into the passenger's seat of Trent's car.

I send him a wave back as Trent leans into the driver's seat and starts his car before turning back around. He rests his arm on top of his door and sends me a grin. I find my lips curving upward in response just as someone walks in between our gazes. A plaid shirt blocks my view of Trent for a good ten seconds as he talks on the phone and rustles with the keys in his hand before he finally lowers himself into the driver's seat.

I open my mouth to wish Trent a good break, but then the hum of the engine cuts in between us and fills the quiet air.

"Have a good break, Lacie!" Trent yells as the car starts backing up.

"Have a good break, Trent!" I call back as the car finally cuts out of the parking spot and zooms towards the exit of the parking lot. I turn back over to Trent and we stare at each other for an extra few seconds before he sends me a wink and turns to hop in his car. I follow suit and buckle my seat belt.

College has been cool, but I'm excited to be able to spend a whole month at home. No classes, no work, my own bed, my mom's food, and Christmas. I turn on the radio, making sure to blast the Christmas music, and check behind me for any cars before pulling out of the parking lot.

I hope there's not a lot of traffic.

****

Pulling into the driveway, I pull the keys out of the ignition, and let out a sigh. I glance up at my small, ordinary two-story house and a smile graces my lips. I get out of the car, jog up to the front door, and slowly open the door. Walking in, I see my dad on one side of the couch staring down at his cell phone, my mom on the other side sliding her finger along her tablet, and my sister on the other side of the room sitting on the love seat playing on her phone.

"Glad to know you're all happy to see me," I say and just like that all their heads whip in my direction.

"Lacie!" Layla calls and before I know it, I'm being squished in a bear hug by my whole family.

It's good to be home.

****

Elf is playing on the television above the fireplace as Layla and I hang ornaments on our pre-lit Christmas tree. We set it up by the window, like we usually do, making it so anyone who drives by is able to see it. My mom's always wanted a real tree, but we don't have enough room for it and my dad doesn't like them.