Prologue

This story contains matured scenes, read at your own risk. (18+)

"Did you know that Hans Christian Andersen wrote the story The Little Mermaid as a love letter for a man named Edvard Collin?" Mr. Fredo, a World Literature instructor, asked the whole class. Gael was listening carefully because it's one of his favorite stories of all time. He loved the story and read it multiple times already.

"Oh, so he's gay," Anthony exclaimed, almost the whole class laughed.

"What's wrong with being gay?" Erin asked Anthony. She seemed irritated with what he said.

"Nothing, I'm just surprised that the real story behind it is just like that." Anthony shrugged his shoulders and Erin rolled her eyes.

"But their feelings for each other are not mutual, that's why the original story of The Little Mermaid is tragic," the instructor continued discussing.

"His love was rejected," Gael murmured to himself out of nowhere.

"You read it already?" Erin asked Gael and he slowly nodded.

"Andersen's love for Collin was rejected. Apparently, the latter didn't feel the same towards Andersen. Enough reason for him to write The Little Mermaid."

"My childhood's memory is now ruined. Akala ko pa naman ay talagang masaya si Ariel," ani Erin at umismid.

"There are things that don't go the way we want it, Erin," komento ni Gael sa sinabi niya.

"I know, I know. I was just disappointed because all this time, I thought it's a happy ending."

"She dissolved in the sea foam," Gael said.

"Alam mo ikaw, ang sarap mong saktan," iritableng sabi ni Erin. Gael laughed.

"It's the truth. Ariel was rejected too."

"If you are not going to stop Gael Felipe, I will drown you later," she warned Gael.

"You forgot that I'm a top swimmer here?" he said sarcastically.

"You are so--" Hindi na natapos ni Erin ang kanyang sasabihin dahil muling nagsalita ang instructor.

"For the next topic, it will be an Indian Literature. There will be also a short quiz for the next meeting," Mr. Fredo said before dismissing the class.

"When is your next class?" Erin asked Gael.

"Mamaya pang 2:00 PM," he told her. It's Gael's last subject and also a major.

"Cafeteria muna tayo?"

"Pwede bang sa park na lang?" Gael replied. He's not used to big crowds and as much as possible, he'll try everything to avoid it. Since he studied in the University almost three years ago, he only had few friends because he's shy and timid.

Gael won at the Palarong Pambasa when he was in high school, a gateway for him to have a chance in different top Universities in the Philippines. He was offered by a lot of schools because of his hobby, swimming. He didn't expect that his passion will bring him to different places. His father thought him how to swim and he practiced every day at the sea near their house. He won gold medals in high school and even became champion on his last year. When one of the top Universities in Manila offered him a full scholarship, he didn't hesitate to accept it. It will also help his family to lessen their finances. The University offered him a scholarship, free accommodation, food, and even monthly allowances. He has four siblings and two of them are still toddlers so it will be a huge help for his parents. Kaya hindi na siya nag-alinlangan pa lalo na't isa iyon sa mga dream school niya.