8

"Hello Henry!" June called to a confused Henry sitting on the couch after she'd let herself into the brownstone, Alex had given her a spare key the night prior.

"June? Not that I'm not glad to see you, but what are you doing here?"

"I'm taking you out today," she smiled as though it were the most obvious news. Henry's eyes narrowed as he studied June.

"Why?" He carefully asked.

"Do I need an excuse to spend some quality time with my brother's fi-boyfriend," she finished, eyes widening at her almost mistake, but Henry didn't seem to notice, she realized as the latter poured some food into David's bowl.

"Okay, but I have dinner plans with Alex later." Henry slid on his shoes and put on his jacket as he followed June out the door.

"Oh, I know," she winked.

--

Alex could count one one hand the amount of times he's been genuinely nervous. Really just two fingers, his mother's two elections. Besides that, he'd never been nervous, not really. Until now. Now might just be the most nervous Alex has been in his entire life. He feels like he could vomit. Or pass out. Or vomit and pass out simultaneously.

"He's all ready, should we come now?" The text from June read.

Before he could even process what he had written, he immediately replied back, "Plan is off." June's call came mere milliseconds later.

"Alex Gabriel Claremont-Diaz, what the hell are you talking about?"

"I-"

"No, I talk, you listen," she started. "You are in love with Henry. Henry is in love with you. And now you are going to propose to Henry with the plan that we've had for two months. Two freaking months Alex. You're not throwing away the chance at a perfect future with your perfect guy just because of some stupid nerves. Now snap the hell out of it, get yourself together Diaz. I'll meet you at the fountain in five. Goodbye."

Alex gulped. Despite the harshness of the call, he knew his sister was right in every sense of the word. Henry was everything. He'd give him the moon if he asked, he'd give him the stars. He knew Henry would say yes, because he knew that Henry felt the same way that he does him.

Minutes later, Your Song hummed through the speakers Alex had earlier set up as the street lights surrounding the street dimmed, the street itself having been cleared out an hour prior. He didn't use them often, but being the FSOTUS had its perks.

Alex let out a breath as the car door opened and Henry, his beautiful Henry, stepped out of the car looking as confused as ever. He chuckled as Henry's gaze landed on him and he let out a tiny gasp. Alex smiled broadly, without restraint and gestured for Henry to join him by the fountain. He did.

"Hi," Alex shyly spoke as Henry approached him.

"Hi, love, may I ask what on earth is going on? Why has June spent the whole day with me and now why I am-"

"Shh," Alex dismissed, taking Henry's pallid hands in his own. He cleared his throat.

"Henry George Edward James Fox-Mountchristen-Windsor, my love, my sweetheart, my baby, my entire freaking world, I love you more than I ever thought possible to love somebody. You, you taught me what love truly is. I've loved you since before I knew I loved you, and I will continue to love you forever. You mean absolutely everything to me and there is nothing more important, nothing I cherish more than you. So my Hen," Alex finished, his hands and Henry's both rapidly shaking, and got down on one knee and pulled the tiny box from his pocket. Looking up, despite the tears streaming down his face, Henry was as beautiful as he'd ever seen him. His Henry. Perhaps his fiancee, momentarily.

"Will you marry me, baby?" He opened the tiny black box and Henry gasped at the sight. It was his father's ring, he realized. The one he wore every day until he died. Silver and simple, yet beautiful, and represented so much more.

"Yes, yes, yes," Henry sobbed, pulling Alex up to him and wrapping his arms tightly around him. They stood like that for a moment before Alex pulled away and grabbed Henry, his fiancee's cheeks with his hands and kissed him. Henry returned the sentiment and kissed him back, both their lips salty with tears as they connected. But it didn't matter. Their future is what mattered.