chapter thirty-three

I walked into work with a yawn. 

Sometimes, I wished that the reality of the world would stay far away. It wasn't that I didn't mind working, it just felt like I couldn't find the balance between my job and my life. I was either intensely dealing with one or the other, and both would drive me to my limits; which is exactly what had happened when I last left work sick. 

Every day is a new day, though, and they say that's when the grind happens. I certainly had to catch up on the college work I had missed the past few days. The good news was the professors were a little more lenient with me, since I was their top student, and I liked those kinds of rewards for hard work. One thing at a time, though, right? 

"Hey!" Sandy was coming out of the employee area as I was heading in, and we stopped in the threshold when we saw each other, "You look so much better!" 

"I feel better," I admitted with a small shrug of one shoulder, "How's it been without me?" 

Sandy engulfed me in a surprise hug, "I've missed you if that's what you're asking!" She pulled back with a big smile, and I found myself cracking a small smile in return as she spoke, "I hope the last few days have helped you clear your head?" 

"Yeah," I nodded, "It kinda has." I thought of everything that had happened since I had Mikeal pick me up from work that day. I didn't realize how much could happen in so little time. "Has Bailey called off every day?" 

Sandy rolled her eyes, "Two out of three, she's going to get fired." 

"Perfect," I said with a touch of sarcasm, "Short-staffed as always, aren't we?" 

Sandy laughed, "Get your apron, hun, we have a day ahead of us." 

I walked to my locker and my thoughts drifted a bit. Sometimes, it felt nice to fall back into the routine of things. Sometimes, life can feel like it tugs away anything that feels familiar and safe, but sometimes these patterns and routines can restore that. Temporarily, of course, because change happens to everyone, and usually when least expected. 

I tied my hair back and then I went out to the register with a smile. For the first time in a long time, it didn't feel like I had to force my lips to tilt upwards. It came a little more naturally, a little more easily because I wasn't feeling like everything weighed too much. 

Especially when Sandy began babbling on and on about what I had missed, which was proven to be a sport in between serving customers. I knew a lot about Sandy's personal life because she was just one of those open people, unafraid if someone took that information to hurt her. She was honestly someone I admired for her ability to express everything. 

If Sandy was having a bad day, I knew. She didn't even have to say it. But on days like today, she was definitely having a good day. Mostly that of which she said was because of me. I didn't even realize how much impact I had on her work life, even if I had my own issues nine out of ten times. 

A little before noon, I saw the police officer who always came in. He was quieter today. 

I made his coffee order and set it on the counter, "Bad day?" 

He smiled but there was something off in his expression. As if the friendly mask he usually wore had finally timed out. "More like a bad week." 

"Well, I hope your day gets better," I slid the coffee to him, "It's on the house today." 

"Thanks."

It wasn't until he walked away that I realized his jaw had a fading bruise on it. For some reason, it reminded me of Roman, and it shouldn't have because I knew police officers could be wrapped up in some pretty serious business with their line of work.