Boy Problems

It's now been weeks after Miguel's funeral. Weeks after that conversation with Latrelle.

I knew what he did and so did he.

I knew who he really was but I chose to ignore it.

Miguel died that day cause of me.

"Alma" Olivia whispers nudging my shoulder.

I turn to face her and let out a sigh.

"Boy problems" She asks.

I had to say something or she wouldn't stop asking.

"Yes boy problems" I fake smile.

"Ooh maybe I can help" She squeals jumping up in her seat.

"Nope I'm good" I awkwardly laugh trying not to roll my eyes.

Ruby slams his tray down before taking a seat across from us.

"You tell them yet?" Ruby asks looking at Olivia.

"Tell us what?" Cesar asks confused.

"As you know I'm turning 15 next week..." Olivia squeals waiting for us to nod.

We all look at eachother awkwardly before Ruby let's out a laugh.

"Of course we know silly" He giggles.

"As you may or may not know I didn't get to have a quinceanera for my 15th so Ruby's mom has been kind enough to host me one for my 18th" She squeals. "And you're all invited"

"Oh my god I love quinceanera's. Could I take a chicken one? I'm cutting back on red meat" Jamal asks.

"Jamal you're thinking of a quesadilla" Monse says trying not to burst into laughter.

"Oh yeaaaaah a quinceanera. Will there be quesadilla's there?" Jamal awkwardly laughs as his face turns red from embarrassment.

"Well you'll have to go to find out" She smiles handing out invitations.

The school bell rings ending our lunch.

I notice Monse abruptly letting go of Cesars hand. She rushes over to me with a smile on her face.

There was something about the smile that didn't seem real. Something was going on between them and I didn't know what.

"Alma you going?" Monse asks waving the invitation.

"I mean I have to" I sigh rubbing my head.

"We'll go together" She smiles.

I abruptly stop walking in the middle of the corridor.

"Together? You're not going with Cesar?" I question.

"Yeah well em" Monse stutters.

"Is there something going on between you? Is something wrong?" I question worried.

"Alma not here" Monse whispers telling me to quite down.

"Where then?" I ask before she drags me down the corridor to the janitors closet.

She throws her bag and takes a seat on the floor.

"Nothing is wrong. Well I don't think it is." Monse sighs running her hand through her hair.

"What is it then?" I ask still worried.

"It's just.. He's become so distant. I.. I don't think he likes me anymore" She whispers as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"Oh Monse" I whisper taking a seat beside her.

She rests her head on my shoulder and wipes the tears away from her face.

"Monse I've known Cesar my whole life and I know he has the biggest fat crush on you" I whispers rubbing her back.

"You sure?" She whispers looking up and I nod.

"I think Miguel's death hit him hard" I whispers leaning back on the wall.

"I know Alma but it's been weeks" She sighs.

"He's still grieving. Give him some time" I whisper.

"You're right Alma. I'm an idiot for making this about myself" Monse murphurs wiping away her tears.

She stands up and grabs her bag before letting herself out. I follow after her before stopping to notice Cesar and Olivia by the lockers.

She had her hands around his neck.

I let out a huge sigh before walking off.

Cesar notices and chases after me.

"Alma wait up" Cesar shouts grabbing my arm.

"What?" I snap pulling away.

"Is Monse okay?" He whispers scratching his head.

"Is Monse Okay" I snap.

What kind of question is that?

"Why don't you ask her yourself?" I scream.

Cesar places his hand over my mouth and pulls me into the janitors closet.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Cesar whispers trying to get me calm down.

"Olivia.. seriously?" I roll my eyes.

"There's nothing going on between me and Olivia" He whispers not making eye contact.

"Then why does everyone seem to think that there is" I cross my arms.

"They're crazy for even thinking something like that" He stutters.

"So Monse's crazy?" I snap. "She thinks you're not inlove with her anymore"

"I am.. but I can't stop thinking about Olivi-" He whispers.

"Fix this" I whisper before storming out.

----------------------------------

Monse included me in a promise to help Olivia with her quinceanera.

It was now after school and we were making our way to Ruby's.

"I'm so excited" Olivia squeals.

"I'm excited for you" Monse smiles.

They both look at me waiting for me to say something.

"Mee too" I awkwardly laugh.

After Cesar confessed about he and Olivia. I couldn't see her the same way.

If only Monse knew that her boyfriend cheated with the girl beside her.

"So how are you?" Olivia asks.

I give her a weird look.

"How are your boy problems?" She giggles.

"Boy problems? You have boy problems?" Monse questions.

"Nooo" I awkwardly laugh while making a slicing motion across my neck to Olivia.

"Oh my god. He should be your date to my quinceanera." Olivia squeals.

This bitch.

"Yes invite this boy who I have not heard of" Monse whispers confused.

"You told me but not Monse. I feel appreciated. Thank you" Olivia smiles putting her hand on my shoulder.

She gives me a smile before running into the house.

"You tell her but not me" Monse jokingly gasps before heading in.

<3