Come to light

I flip the switch repeatedly hoping the light would switch on. The power was still out and Oscars phone was about to die.

The thought of being in the dark scared me but being in the dark with Oscar scared me a little less. I felt safer around him and felt as if nothing could hurt me.

I watch as he tries to figure out the words to say. He starts with an apology. I look up at him puzzled.

"Ivy say something" Oscar whispers.

I didn't know what to say. Was he apologising for almost kissing me? Was I reading into this all wrong?

"It's okay. Nothing happened and nothing will" I say.

Saying those words stung but the smile on the face told him otherwise.

His lips curled into a smile but his eyes expressed sadness.

"That's true" he whispers quickly breaking eye contact.

The flashlight from his phone switches off leaving us in the dark.

I let out a sigh in frustration and lean back on the wall. When was someone going to notice we were trapped in here?

To my surprise, someone did.

The door opens letting all the light in. My eyes quickly adjust and I see Cesar standing at the door.

"Alma? Oscar?" He questions looking down at us.

I quickly lift myself up and jump into his arms.

"Thank you Cesar" I say hugging him.

He stumbles before hugging me back.

"Still afraid of the dark?" he laughs and I nod in agreement.

Cesar wraps an arm around me as we make our way back. Oscar follows behind us but instead of making his way to the living room, he makes his way to the front door.

"You're leaving? You can't leave yet. I heard you were looking for me" Cesar says.

"The cops are still here" I whisper.

"It's alright. Cesar I'll talk to you at home." Oscar a whispers looking at the ground.

"You can't talk to me here because?" Cesar scoffs.

Oscar doesn't reply, instead he turns on his heel and makes his way out the door.

I notice Cesar lets out a sigh of disappointment and I rest my hand on his shoulder.

"We should head back to the others" I say.

Cesar and Oscar only had each other growing up. You'd think they'd be really close but the truth is, they're not.

As we had back into the living room, Olivia jumps out her seat.

"Alma where were you?" She questions looking around.

I roll my eyes in annoyance and take my seat next to Monse. Olivia was clearly looking for Oscar.

"Oscars not here" Cesar snaps.

As I take my seat next to Monse and she asks me why he was so mad. I shrug my shoulders not knowing what to say.

Cesar didn't seem mad at Oscar anymore, he seemed mad at Olivia.

The clock strikes 8.

The police still had the area on lockdown.

We were all still sat on Ruby's dining table.

My eyes kept going back to the front door hoping Oscar would come back but I knew he wouldn't, not after what I said.

The wind seeping through the gaps in the window had seemed to blow out several of the candles.

Ruby lets out a sigh before standing up.

"It's okay I'll get the lighter" Monse says jumping up.

We watch as she gets up and heads out the room. Everyone watches except for Olivia who had her eyes on Cesar.

"Will you stop Olivia?" Cesar snaps standing up from his seat.

I'd never seen Cesar so angry.

"Will you stop staring at me like you hate me? Cause the other day when we kissed, you didn't seem to" Olivia shouts standing up from her seat.

The lights flicker back on revealing Monse in the doorway.

"You guys kissed" Monse whispers.

All heads turn to face her.

Tears streamed down her face as she stumbles back trying to find the front door.

Cesar chases after her as she runs out.

"Monse please" He shouts.

I quickly block the door stopping Cesar from leaving.

"You've done enough" I whisper pushing him away.

I wanted to do more than push him away. I wanted to scream and shout at him but I couldn't as I knew Monse needed me.

I shake my head in disapproval before exiting the house.

"Monse" I call out to her as I duck away from police still patrolling the area.

As I continued to look for her, I realise it all made sense. Cesar had been cheating on her for a while. This whole time Monse blamed herself when he's really the one to blame.

I can't imagine what she's going through right now.

"Monse" I call out to her once more but no reply, instead a sound of footsteps coming closer and closer.

I slowly turn in my heel to see Latrelle stood there with his hands in his pockets. He wore a hoodie covering what looked like bruises on his face.

"Latrelle" I gulp.

As much as I wanted to hold him in my arms I couldn't not after knowing he killed Miguel.

"Stay away from me-" I whisper slowly stepping backwards.

"I didn't kill Miguel" he interrupts raising his hands a little.

I take in a deep breath trying to focus on what he said.

"How am I supposed to believe you? You were there" I whisper as a tear rolls down my cheek.

I hated this so much.

"Alma please believe me" he whispers stepping closer.

"Stay away Latrelle" I cry and that's when I heard the click of a gun coming from behind me.

Latrelle puts his hands up in surrender and I do the same.

I slowly turn around to see Oscar holding the gun.

"Alma go" Oscar whispers. His eyes still on Latrelle.

"Don't do this. Please don't do this" I beg.

"Alma I said go" Oscar snaps.

"Listen to him" Latrelle whispers closing his eyes.

"No I won't let him do this to you" I whisper stepping in front of the gun.

<3