Observant

Chapter 4

In this town you were looked at one of two ways. One, you were envied but feared because of your connection with Dante. Or two, you were just like everyone else...curious about the boy rumored to have killed.

And I was looked at one way.

The new girl everyone "wanted to be," as Ivy said.

I find I like walking better then driving. I can drive, of course, I just prefer not to unless it is too far of a walk.

It is a beautiful day outside today. The sun is bright and warm and the air is cool but not cold.

I am snapped out of my head when Dante pulls up next to me.

"Get in." Dante lowers his sunglasses so I can see his eyes. "For what" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Walk then." He says while he pulls his glasses back up. Before he could speed off I got in the car. "You don't have to drive me to school you know."  He ignores me, leaving his eyes on the road, swerving through traffic.

I should be scared of the way he drives but I'm not. His car is comforting. The smell of clean linen and cologne engulfs me every time I get in.

He pulls swiftly in his parking spot and gets out the car, he walks around and opens my door. As I got out everyone seemed to be staring at me. "Do I have something on my face? Is my shirt see-through again.?" I ask him. He smirks, "No, they're jealous."

Jealous of what?

I thought every one was so scared of him, so why would they be jealous.

If I were them, I'd be more concerned with whether or not I am gonna show up dead one day.

"You came to school with Dante?" Beca asks me after she practically sprinted to me. I nod in response. "We have known Dante for a long time and we have never seen him get so close with someone." I shrug, "Maybes he's changed?" I can tell she is thinking about the possibility that maybe he has changed, but she doesn't say anything though.

We walked in silence into the school and to our lockers when Ivy met up with us.

"There another party tonight, are we gonna see you there?" Ivy asks as she leans against the locker next to mine. "Is there ever a night that there isn't a party?" I ask, I am beginning to worry about their liver...She smiles and shakes her head. "They call our school the party school for a reason. People from schools all around come here."

Maybe it's just me...but I don't feel the need to travel out of town just for a party.

"Cam." Zach waves his hand over the crowd of students trying to get to their lockers, calling me over. I get all the things I need from my locker and walk towards him. "Hi Zachery." I say with my sweetest voice I can conjure up. He hates when I call him Zachery almost as much as I hate when he calls me Cam. "You like to think you're funny." He states. "I am fun-" I was cut off.

"Hey, you're Camille right?" I turn around from facing Zach and give the boy in front of me a smile. "Yeah."

"That's cool." He says, looking down at his feet after.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Nolan." He says with a smile, he's cute—but kinda weird.

"Do you like coffee?" He asks, looking up from his feet. I really hope he doesn't ask me on a date...I can't turn him down he seems sweet but I really don't want to date anyone.

Thankfully,  before I can answer Aiden runs over and grabs my arm, dragging me away from Nolan leaving his expression concerned.

"Thank you for saving me but you could have just asked to talk to me." I say laughing. "I don't want to talk to you." I gasp at his comment. "No! No I meant it's not me who wants to talk, it's Dante."

Dante? He can't come get me himself to talk?

"Talk about what?" I ask. He doesn't answer though, he just walks and probably hopes I'm following.

I follow behind him until we reach the picnic table outside the school.

Aiden walks away once I reach Dante, leaving us alone.

I prefer to be with him alone.

He seems different around his friends. He's more open when he's alone. He seems to have fun when it's just us two.

"Hey, Aiden said you needed to talk. You know you can always come get me yourself, right?" I ask. I don't know if he knows that it's okay to actually approach me during school hours.

"Are you going to the party?" He asks. I can tell the difference in his voice. He's mad. "Maybe, are you?"

He shrugs. "If you go."

"Okay, then i'll go." I say, setting my book bag down on the table and sitting next to him. He watches me as I sit and adjust myself to become comfortable. "Can I sit here?" I feel like I need to ask him that because he just keeps staring at me....

"Course." He replies.

He's not as bad as people make him seem. Is he bad? Yes. He is bad. But he's not like that evil human being like people have told me.

He intrigues me. I feel this urge... this strong urge to fix his wounds this world has caused him.

Dante's POV

When she sat down next to me her leg brushed against mine. Normally if anyone sat this close to me I'd launch them to the ground, but yet here she is.

I watch as she takes a book from her bag and opens it. She begins reading as if i'm not staring at her. I know she knows that I am.

Her hair blows in her face every once in awhile and she pushes it behind her ear, not letting it bother her. That shit would piss me off.

I also watch as she occasionally looks around the courtyard at the other students while letting the sun hit her face.

She was probably the most beautiful girl i've ever seen. Her skin was a perfect shade of tan. Her eyes a perfect chocolate brown. Her hair a perfect shade of dark brown with perfect curls.

Every other girl in this school never impressed me. Average. They were all below average compared to her beauty.

Other girls at this school throw themselves at me, I mean literally throw.

This one girl tripped her friend just so I could "catch her," as if I was going to catch her!

But Camille only glanced at me and looked away.

And I hated that.

Everything she does is so genuine. Most people probably don't see it this way though. Most people aren't as observant as I am.

Her smile is almost always genuine and I know when it's not. She has this certain look in her eyes when she means it.

No one notices the small details I notice. That's why i've come so far. Life is about details.

I snap back into reality as she closes her book and places it back into her bag.

Only now I notice that our legs are still touching.