Bayou

[LOCATION: BAYOU CLINIC ]

Haley lay in the bed, ulstrasound gel on her belly. On the small screen, there was a vague image of a fetus. A fetal heartbeat is heard. Haley was in awe. This little heartbeat was inside her. She looked down at her stomach. This was her baby. That idea settled into her mind, her heart and soul. "Your baby's heart rate is perfect. " Dr. Paige smiles. Pride swells in her.

Hayley smiles in return, "I knew it. She's a tough one, like her mom." Dr. Paige chuckles and hands her a tissue to wipe the ultrasound gel off of her abdomen, which she does. As Hayley sits up, Dr. Paige notices Hayley's crescent-moon shaped birthmark on her shoulder. There was something familiar about it but she's couldn't place it.

"That's a unique birthmark." Dr.Paige says, nodding at her birthmark. For some reason that made her feel uneasy. Like it was her's and she didn't want anyone else to see it. Hayley didn't respond. Shrugging her sweater, she said, "We're pretty much done here, right?" Just as she said that her phone vibrated. Opening up her her messages she saw she got a text from Rebekah.

It read: Where are you

It was a simple text but it made her feel warm. She'd lived her whole life alone. No one would love her and protect her. No one would put her before their needs. People would use her and discard her so she learned to do the same. It was a cold, hard truth she she had to live with. Rebekah was different. She was upfront about her dislike for her but she still checked in on her. It made her refuel warm. Even if it was because she was carrying her brother's child and her niece.

"Your blood pressure is a bit high, I've got something for it." Dr.Paige said. Hayley looks up from her phone to see her walk away. Unseen to Hayley, Dr. Paige exited her room to where Agnes was waiting in the next room. Sitting on the med bed, Hayley responded to Rebekah's text:

Bayou clinic with doctor .

Suddenly, a wolf howls loudly, startling Hayley. She gets up to look out the window and sees a car's headlights approaching. Unease slid into her. She was out in the Bayou. Alone. With a doctor that seemed awfully interested in her birthmark. Stupid. Her heart sped up. Fear creeped into her. She should have been more cautious. She barely knew anyone in this city and there were any number of people willing to the originals through her. Focus. She forced herself to control her breathing. Her hand came to her stomach. It's not just me anymore. The moment she saw her baby, heard her heartbeat, she was a goner. She would keep her. She opened her heart to this little life so it would have her love and protection. First things first, I have to get out of here. Hayley resolved. Unfortunately, Dr. Paige returned with her medication.

"Ahh, you know, I'm-I'm actually not that good with pills. " Hayley said trying to keep her voice steady. She couldn't let her get suspicious before she escaped.

"Heh, neither am I, truth be told. " Dr. Paige said, setting the medicine cup on the table. She started  preparing something. Outside, a group of intimidating-looking men walked into the clinic. Agnes came out to greet them. One of them leaned close and whispered something unintelligible to Agnes.

Hayley discreetly took her phone.
Rebekah: I'm on my way.

She was typing a response when out of the corner of her eye, she saw Dr. Paige preparing a syringe. Her heart jumped into her throat. A rush of energy filled her. The doctor lunged at her to inject her with it but Hayley was too fast, grabbing her arm holding the syringe and pushing it away from her. She didn't stop there. She head butted the doctor, disorienting her. Taking advantage of her weakness, Hayley stabs the syringe into the doctor's neck. The doctor fell,motionless. Hayley stood there, trying to process everything that just happened. She sucked in a breath, and exhaled. Her knees felt weak. But luck was not on her side.