chapter nine

April 06, 2019

Today was the day. Ria's film would have its premiere. Without its star. But I was there on her behalf.

Times had been rough. I went through the different stages of grief. Went through denial. But I settled with the fact that she was gone. 

I wasn't doing good. But I worked hard to become what Ria would have been. And it kept me going. It would forever chain me to the past. But I wasn't willing to cut those chains anytime soon. Because they were what holds me together. Maybe one day.

I was getting ready. 

Wearing a baby blue dress. It did look stunning. My mother helped me to get ready. She was doing good. Work kept her busy and also Isabella was drowning herself in work. But other than mom she wasn't doing so good. No one would expect her to. But she kept her walls up - the celeb world didn't see the broken woman.

Mom took the last glance at me before going downstairs with me. The car was waiting.

"She would be so proud of you? You know that, right? And not only she would be proud but I am extremely proud of you." she hugged me tightly.

I smiled at her and nodded. I do know that she'd be proud of me. And to her that my mother was proud of me was everything I needed to know.

"Thank you, mum." I mumbled into her neck as I loosened the embrace and got to the car.

The whole ride I was nervous and filled with anticipation.

I talked with the directors of her movie. They said their condolences and told me that they'd want me to be there on her behalf. I talked with her co-star Ryan. He helped me quite a lot and we became really good friends. 

He was a funny guy. Kept my thought occupied while I was with him. Today he would help me through the evening and I was really thankful for that.

The car stopped. That's it. I'm really doing that.

"Thanks," I told my driver before getting out.

As soon as I left the safety of the car, camera flashes were lighting up.

"Skylar over here!" "Ms. Engelmann! Would you mind answering some questions for us?" and so many more of those shouts were all I heard. I want to go back. But there is no way back. I'm doing this for Ria. And I got this.

It felt somehow wrong to be here. It wasn't my movie. I shouldn't be here. But that was too late now.

I caught Ryan's eyes. He must have seen my panic because he started walking over to me.

"Well hello, Ms. Engelmann. You do be looking rather gorgeous today." He smiled at me.

"Oh thank you, Mr. Gosling," I said back in a joking manner.

"How are you kid? You know she would want you to be here and she would be so proud of you right now." He now told me in a more serious tone.

"Yeah but it still feels wrong somehow."

"I can only imagine." He said smiling apologetically.

"Just imagine you are my date. Maybe not less awkward but maybe more okay in your eyes."

I laugh half-heartedly.

"It's alright I guess. Now let's get this party started will we?"

"Absolutely Sky. You know. You do really look stunning kid. And you have her spirit in you. So show the world who she was and who you are going to be, okay?" He held his arm out.

"Let's do this," I said grabbing his arm.

The carpet went by rather uneventful. Most questions were for Ryan some were about Ria and I answered those as best as I could.

Seeing the movie for the first time was an emotional roller coaster. My eyes started to tear up as she was seen on the screen. 

Her beauty took my breath. It felt so good to hear her voice again. I haven't realized how much I missed that voice. And how wrong her voice in my head sounded. 

All of a sudden a wave came over me. But I kept quiet and just sat there. Taking in all her talent. She was truly amazing. Hell, how I missed that little diva. 

Ryan flashed me a short small smile which I returned.

The movie was really good. I loved the detail of the characters and I really need to tell the person in charge of costumes what great of a job they had done. It was a masterpiece.

Ria would have been proud of this one. And so was I. It was exactly was my queen and angle deserved. And I wouldn't want to keep her for eternity any other way.

After the movie finished Ryan and I went to the after-party.

"So what are you going to do next kiddo?" He asked sipping his champagne

"I got an offer from Marvel. I'll be the next superhero I suppose." I laughed dryly. 

I wasn't a hero, that I was certain about.

"It sounds amazing. I'm so happy for you!" He was genuinely amazed which made me smile.

"I'm happy too." I smiled completely honest.

I didn't stay long after that talk anymore but went home quite early. It was indeed really tiring but it was completely worth it.