chapter ten

06. January 2024

"And the award for best acting goes too......... Skylar Engelmann!"

I had expected everything but that.

I got up, passed my husband of two years Tom Holland that hugged me tightly before walking me up to the stage.

I was shocked to say at least. I'd have never expected this.

As I got up I took in all the cheers that were now audible for me. 

I can do this. I did this. I made Ria proud.

They all shook my hand and congratulated me.

Okay Sky, you got this. You know exactly what to say.

"Thank you. All of you. Oh god that just feels so unrealistic right now."

I looked at Tom, a worried look painted my face. He smiled calmly at me.

With a deep breath, I continued.

"I wanna thank the people that were by my side through all of this. Thanks to Marvel for giving me the opportunity of my life. Thank you for believing in me when I didn't. Thank you to my second family. I feel like without you guys I wouldn't be here."

My eyes searched the crowd for my cast. As soon as I found them I smiled.

"I'd also like to thank my mum. She's the best. Life wasn't always easy." I quickly stopped my tears from falling. 

"But not only thanks to my real mum but also to my second mum. Isabella had my back and helped me through all of this. We have our very own history. And most of all thank you to my wonderful husband. I love you more than you could ever imagine and I am extremely grateful that I have you by my side. You are what kept me going."

I smile sadly.

"As many of you know, this right here was never something I had dreamed of. It was never something I wanted for myself. 

And I don't want to be ungrateful even though I feel like there are people who deserve this award more than I do. 

But I was never the one to enjoy the flashlight and being the center of attention. I didn't do this for myself. I did this for Maria. 

I did it to make her proud and to live her dreams that she couldn't anymore. So thank you for helping me make her dream come true. I am completely convinced that she'd be so proud."

I let a single tear slip my eye.

"Furthermore I want to announce something. I wanted to tell you that I founded an organization. This organization will support everyone struggling with mental health. It's supposed to create a safe space. 

I will fight for awareness and I won't stop. Because it is our responsibility.

And if I have learned one thing during my career and all my movies as well as my own life then that running from your past and the problems around you won't solve anything."

"Thank you once again."

With that, I left the stage. Cheers erupted. At the bottom of the stairs, I was met by Tom. He put his hand around my waist and we walked back to our seats. His thumb painting small circles on my hip to calm me down. God, I loved him so much. He always knew what to do. I never thought I'd find someone like him.

We sat through the rest of the awards and then left just soon after.