2. The Struggles of Visiting a Jail

Thank you @lara9988 for the cover on the side

// Chapter 2: The Struggles of Visiting a Jail \\

     Fancy pants – check

     Hideous blouse – check

     Now all I need is . . . my eyes flit over to the beauty department. Ah, makeup. Yes. I need to look mature, older than my age.

     I rush over to the makeup aisle and pick out a few products. Age me, skin foundation. Dark red lipstick. Mascara.

     Perfect, I think to myself. Time to check out.

     I move towards the cash registers. The lines are longer than ever. Ugh, this'll take awhile.

     I slip into the shortest line there is. There are still about 5 people in front of me though.

     After standing still for a few minutes, I decide to call the jail to see when they close, just in case.

     Ring . . . Ring . . . ring . . . ring.

     "Brooksbank County Jail. What can I help you with?"

     The lady's voice has a slight country accent to it.  "Um . . . yeah, hi. I was just wondering . . . what are your visiting hours?

     "Well, sweetie, we only allow visitors on certain days. Tuesdays and Saturdays. And the hours vary depending on the day. Typically, we allow visitors till four PM."

     The line in front of me moves up a little. "Ok . . . so what are the times for today?"

     "No visitors past four PM. But you do know you'll need a legal guardian with you if you're younger than seventeen?"

     "Really? I thought it was eighteen. So, could I come visit by myself if I'm seventeen?"

     "Yes you may. You'll just need verification of your age. A drivers license or any ID will do."

I get out of life, because buying these clothes now would be absolutely pointless. So much for sneaking in the jail and acting older. "And do I have to schedule any sort of appointment?" I put the clothes and makeup in some random isle and then head for the exit.

     "Nope. Just come on in at any time. You should be fine."

     "Okay, thank you for all your help."

     "No problem missy, you have a great day."

     "You too." I hang up just as I reach my car. I get in and glance at the clock. 12:01. I might as well stop and get some lunch before I head on over to the jail. I was going to go tonight, but seeing as it closes at four, now would be the best time. It's a long drive anyways.

     I drive over to the local fast-food restaurant, pick up some food from the drive-thru, and then eat it as I start driving to my destination: the county jail.

     I've been waiting forever. So many people in this room, and it stinks . . . horribly.

     I'm at the jail, and I've been waiting to see him. They said it would be no more than half an hour. Bull crap.

     When I got here, I have to go through a metal detector machine thingy and they look at my ID, asked who I was visiting, and the whole process was super complicated. I guess I was supposed to bring in an application saying I had approval from I don't even know who - perhaps it was the court judge - to visit him . . . whoops? How was I supposed to know that? I went in this room and that room, and finally, I ended up here. They told me I have to wait because the visiting room is full, but said I'd see him soon. They lied. I've been waiting for forty-nine minutes to go see him. Almost an hour! And to let you know, I'm not a patient person . . . at all.

     Ugh, I'm starting to question whether this was even worth it.

     Leila, calm down, of course it was worth it. You need to get yourself together for when you see him.

     The minutes pass by and I am on the brink of insanity, when finally, I hear my name.

     "Leila Wade?" I look over to the source of the voice to see a middle-aged lady, with a rather ugly look on her face, standing in the doorway.

     I get up quickly and walk over to where she's standing. "Yes? Hello? I'm Leila."

     She looks at me briefly before saying quietly, "Come with me."

ღღღ

I'm sorry for ending it there. I wanted to make it longer, but my brain is honestly just dead. And I'm sick so . . . yeah. Next chapter will be twice as long. I promise.

Please vote and comment so I can have more readers:)

What do you think will happen next? What do you think he'll say?

<3 Ashlyn